cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what face plate is this?

IanL
Grafter

what face plate is this?

Hi, my faceplate has become faulty and I can't get out of the house to a store right now, so if anyone could tell me what I order and where from online as Plusnet won't help in replacing them? (see attached photos of faulty one) Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: what face plate is this?

It's an Openreach VDSL faceplate and opens up the can of worms about where BT's responsibility stops and yours starts.  BT say that they stop at the test socket, yet they provided the faceplate and the modem.  They'll replace the modem in the event of failure, work on the line up to the test socket if necessary, but the all important faceplate that sits in the middle is seemingly the customer's responsibility....
What do you think is wrong with it?
Here's an example supplier:  http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html
IanL
Grafter

Thanks for the info, the phone line is dead when plugged into it but ok when plugged into test socket behind and internet is ok. So I guess the faceplate is faulty. Plusnet just told me to go to b&q !!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pwatson
Here's an example supplier:  http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html
Hold on a minute, it's not one of those!
That link goes to a Mk2 plate, the "interstitial" one that slips in behind the lower half of an NTE5A without needing to rewire.
The photo looks different to that.
It appears to be a Mk1 which replaces the lower section. See: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Openreach-master-socket-MK1-or-MK2/td-p/123...
I would argue strongly that it is a BT responsibility.  Wink
peter10
Grafter

It looks similar to mine which BT fitted when I had a line fault. Mine is the early version of the interstitial VDSL face  plate and has the same logo as shown in the photo in this advert  http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BT-Openreach-Interstitial-Compatible/dp/B007URQZAU ; I think that you can replace this earlier MK1 version with the MK2.
I thought that the ones that replaced the lower section had the sockets side by side but I could well be wrong.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: IanL
Thanks for the info, the phone line is dead when plugged into it but ok when plugged into test socket behind and internet is ok. So I guess the faceplate is faulty.

If anything is wired to the faceplate that could be the cause of your problem.  If there are wires, make a careful note of which wire goes to which connection, detach the wires then retest the faceplate. 
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Salmo
I think that you can replace this earlier MK1 version with the MK2.
No, because the lower (phone socket) section is missing on Mk2.
I thought that the ones that replaced the lower section had the sockets side by side but I could well be wrong.
Some 3rd-party ADSL (not VDSL) units were like that, e.g. ADSLnation. Again, these REPLACE the lower section (phone socket) of an NTE5A.
peter10
Grafter

Hi HPsauce
The lower phone section was missing from the original version of the interstitial VDSL filter plate that the BT engineer fitted. I did not have a filtered socket and he used the bottom half of the existing NTE5 phone socket. The frontal photo from the OP looks identical to my socket with the line across it. I haven't taken it apart so can't compare the other photo. The filter plate that I have looks the same as the MK2 but doesn't have MK2 written on it. I thought the MK2 was an improved version of the original with an RF filter. I'm wondering whether we have different ideas about which is the MK1 version.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Salmo
The lower phone section was missing from the original version of the interstitial VDSL filter plate that the BT engineer fitted. I did not have a filtered socket and he used the bottom half of the existing NTE5 phone socket.
That's how the interstitial plate is supposed to work!  Roll_eyes
You remove the short screws retaining the lower section of the NTE5A, leaving any extension wiring connected to it, and ease it slightly forward.
You slip the plate behind it from above - it has a slot to go over the wires - then fit it all back together with the longer screws supplied with it.
This discussion is about a different design.
peter10
Grafter

Re reply 6
Quote from: Salmo on Today at 19:23
I think that you can replace this earlier MK1 version with the MK2.
No, because the lower (phone socket) section is missing on Mk2.

All I'm trying to do is to point out in response to reply 6 is that I think you can replace the original (MK1?) version of the VDSL plate with the MK2 as neither come with the lower phone socket section and are both interstitial.
Re your link here https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Openreach-master-socket-MK1-or-MK2/td-p/123...
I think that the top photo of the MK1 is the same interstitial as the one that I have and if the  OP has that one as you think then he could replace with it the MK2 as pwatson suggests.
From the OP's photos I can't be sure which it is. A side on photo should show if it is an interstitial plate.
ps I must learn how to include quotes
HPsauce
Pro

It's a Mk1, it's NOT interstitial. It replaces the lower section of an NTE5A. It is not directly swappable (as I've said and explained above) with a Mk2.
To use a Mk2 you need to reinstate the lower section of the NTE5A, assuming you still have it.  Roll_eyes
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Apologies for setting off the chain of confusion...  The OP needs something like this then
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Openreach-NTE5a-Master-Socket-VDSL-Faceplate-Back-Box-BRAND-NEW-GENUINE...
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

In fact he (seemingly) does not need the back box part or the VDSL part; just the detachable part where the telephone plugs in.
HPsauce
Pro

If he still has the (removed) lower plate of the NTE5A then a Mk2 will do the job.
If not then the item suggested by @pwatson will do the job, though you won't need all of it - just the "legal" bits, i.e. the lower faceplate and interstitial plate.  Grin
IanL
Grafter

OK got this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPNTE5ADSL.html
Can now make calls but still can't receive them - turns out there was a fault on line and got to wait until FRIDAY to get an engineer. If only PLUSNET would have checked the line yesterday!