cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what exactly happens when i move my home phone to plusnet?

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

what exactly happens when i move my home phone to plusnet?

Ive ordered home broadband and home phone package, my broadband seams to be almost setup but my phone could take 2-3 weeks which is fine as they did state this in the terms.
Im just unsure on what happens with my current phone provider do i move to plus net and then wait for bt to issue a final bill? This might sound a silly question but ive only been with bt 18 months and bt was my first contract after moving into my first own home, so ive never made a switch before and im not 100% sure how it will go.
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Community Veteran
Fixes: 63

Re: what exactly happens when i move my home phone to plusnet?

When I moved my phone from BT to Plusnet
The first thing that happened was I received a letter from BT saying that they were sorry I was leaving and asking if they could change my mind.
Once the move had taken place BT calculated the unused line rental and any call charges and I received a refund but I can't remember how I received it. I suspect it was by cheque as this was before direct debit was mandatory
It was. extremely painless
waynemorrell
Grafter

Hi,
I moved providers a few times now. First BT then Talk Talk and now Plusnet, although TT seemed to disconnect me a day early Plusnet took over the line no probs. In my case I moved from a LLU provider to Plusnet (A BT wholesale line rental provider AFAIK), so some psychical work Had to be done at the local telephone exchange.
Moving from BT to Plusnet shouldn't result in any downtime on the voice side AFAIK  because it is still psychically a BT line so it should be able to be done via Software. This is how I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Not sure about the broadband side of it though I'm afraid.
Anyway very pleased with Plusnet, and the speed is a lot faster then my Talk Talk line!
Regards,
Wayne
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You're quite correct there Wayne. It will be a painless process ukste, as Oldjim has said, apart from telling BT sorry you're going  Grin
When the losing provider uses BTwholesale Line Rental (which BT Retail obviously do) and the gaining provider also uses BT WLR then you shouldn't notice it has happened.
winpow
Dabbler

we changed and have been without phone line or broadband for 2 1/2 weeks now
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Anyone moving between providers that use BT WLR always retain their number. They aren't/do not need new numbers. It's a totally different matter if you are moving from cable or LLU providers like TalkTalk.