Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unwanted calls

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

unwanted calls

Ive noticed in the past 5 days ive been getting lots of international calls and unknown callers, someting i cant say i really got when i was at BT, im not saying this is plusnet`s fault but i dont understand why im getting so many random calls. Could someone at bt have sold on my details to companys? Almost every call has been someone trying to offer some kinda of serivce and tonight i get a call which shows up as "out of area" i pick it up and a women who is clearly not english is trying to ask me if i need help with my studies and what numbers to call if i need advice, Huh  i work full time i aint at any college... more random calls. I think from now on i wont answer any calls unless i know the number. Only downside is we have an answer machine and its full each day with callers asking if i want loft installation, or im ready to make my ppi claim ....
i joined TPS over 12 moths ago and after the first 2 months odd calls stopped, but since moving home phone from bt to plusnet we seam to be getting loads of calls from people flogging stuff to strange calls about studies...........
I contacted plusnet a few days ago who told me my phone was ex-directory, and im reg with tps so why all of a sudden do i get lots of calls which im sick of getting?
Im not prepared to pay for monly packages to remove these callers, i somtimes wonder if these calls are some kinda of setup so we are coned into paying extra for packages to remove them.
6 REPLIES 6
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: unwanted calls

BT call centers are in India, most of my unwanted international calls come from India, so yes smoke and fire someone within the call centers are selling our information.
Mine started after reporting a phone fault to BT in January
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's usually random number diallers that start these things off, though I'm not sure if something happens when the phone is answered to mark the number as active or something (wouldn't be surprised if that happens). Unfortunately the TPS isn't able to prevent calls from abroad.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Overall, I don't think I'm getting any more sales/scam/nuisance calls since moving from BT to PN Home Phone, though they do tend to come and go in cycles.
In recent months quite a few new Home Phone customers seem convinced that that they are getting more of these calls, or the calls have only started, after transferring to PN, and it seems reasonable to assume that they're not all imagining it.
It seems to me also reasonable to assume that if any company is up to something shady, it's more likely to be the losing provider rather than the gaining one.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

i know what youre saying and i do agree, but have no proof ofc
kmilburn
Grafter

I've noticed a marked increase in the number of calls from internation numbers over the past couple of months, including four in a single day, it usually averages around 3 a week!
I'm more inclined to go for the auto-dialler theory rather than numbers being sold on,  I've had a Plusnet phone line for over 3 years. 
Given relatively small number and known list of std codes, it's not that hard for an auto-dialler to go through the entire range with a reasonal hit rate.
Fortunately, (AFAIAA) the less well defined segmentation of the mobile numbers make the chances of a hit a lot less likely.
JamesM
Grafter

I get these calls on my home phone, all automated, but I get a few on my mobile where there is an actual person on the other end. Needless to say the real person on the other end of my mobile gets all my anger aimed at them for all the automated calls on my home phone.
Plusnet do not have my mobile number and neither do BT, the web is a big place where when we order products off the internet we have to leave a contact phone number. My guess is that some of these companies are selling our details, or someone is hacking into their trusted secure websites and stealing our details.
The government don't care because they would sell their grandmothers if they could make a quick buck, maybe something like selling our NHS details to the drug companies. Why not sell our details and make a quick buck before privatising the NHS.