cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange noises on line

gizmo1962
Hooked

strange noises on line

hi we seem tp be having issues with our phone line , it only happens when i talk to a friend with any other call it does not happen , but we are getting what sounds like bird or cat noises on the phone when we are talking , after talking to our isp they said it sounds like a android device but i would have  thought if that was the case it would happen everytime , both lines have been checked and it seems that nothing is wrong but we still hear strange noises when we are talking , does anyone  know where we can go for help for this kind of problem , i did do a recording but unsure if it would be aloud on this forum thanks for your advice

6 REPLIES 6
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: strange noises on line

Welcome to the forum.  Smiley

On the face of it, it does appear that it's not actually a problem on your line if it only happens when talking to your friend. It would be interesting to know if he has the problem when talking to other people.

@gizmo1962 wrote:

i did do a recording but unsure if it would be aloud on this forum...

That might be useful - just upload to a hosting site and post the link here.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
gizmo1962
Hooked

thankyou for your reply , this issue only happens on 1 phone number either he phones me or i phone him , my friend is on ee and he said that he has had his line checked out the same with us with plusnet both isp have said there is nothing wrong with our lines but last night someone came on the line and said f off , so we have had enough we was trying to get through to plusnet support all afternoon and wait times was half a hour i tried again last night and i had to wait for 48 minutes before i was connected to support , they have said that they are getting open reach envolved and will be monitoring the line , apart from the problems with phone the fibre optic speed was only 19 from a fibre connection of 40 gb so hopfully they will sort out the issues , my concern is my wife as she is mentally ill and if she hears strange noises on the line it could set her levels to rise , i have done a recording of a phone call between me and my friend listern to all the call and you will hear strange noises on the line thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwok8yz76wa0qnc/Voice%20001.m4a?dl=0

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Hmmm - very interesting. Thanks for uploading the audio file.

The interfering (female?) voice sounded to me as if it were from a direct metallic contact with another line, rather than the result of inductive or capacitive crosstalk. I also formed the impression that the interruptions were intentionally timed, not random.

Let's assume, then, that either your or your friend's line is in metallic contact with someone else's. If the polarities match, then it seems likely that an ISP's auto test would not detect any anomaly. My (BT trained) ears suggest that the contact is on your friend's side, but obviously I can't be categorical about it.

It seems odd that this only occurs on calls between the two of you. If I'm on the right track here, to progress we really need to determine whether it's your line or your friend's. If neither of you make or receive many calls, I'd suggest that you and your friend pick up the phone now and again, dial 17070, select option 2 (quiet line test), and listen for any extraneous "voices off". Once some evidence of a problem on one line or the other can be established, you'll know whether to pursue the case with EE or Plusnet.

Just a thought...  is there any possibility that someone, in either house, is "avin a larf" on an extension phone? Please note: I'm not implying anything - just exploring all possibilities.

Good luck - hope you get it sorted soon.

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
gizmo1962
Hooked

hi thankyou for your reply , i dont think anyone is playing a joke between me and my friend we both dont have any children, when i played the file to plusnet a couple of times they said it sounded like twitter thats why they said android device , my friend was woundering if it is his answerphone playing about , but these noises only happen between us i have taken your advice and tried 3 times through the day but nothing at the moment it usally happens early evening , after talking to plusnet again after we heard f off on the line they have got openreach to mointer the line but at the moment not been able to hold of my friend on the phone but hopefully will chat later to him , with regards to 17070 option 2 is this a free number through plus net just woundering , my friend thinks it is us because we have 3 pets 1 parrot that talks 1 dog and 2 degus , my friend has 1 dog but we both have no cat which comes on the line , my friend said could it be a cat with a mobile phone ? thanks

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

OK, thanks for update.

Yes, 17070 is free, though I'm not sure if it's available at all on EE - it'll cost nothing to try anyway.

I can't see what Twitter or Android have to do with it - the voice I heard on your audio upload sounded like a female using an ordinary phone, which somehow was appearing on your, or your friend's, line.

In my reply in Message 4, I must have had a bit of a brain fade when I said that an ISP's line test would not pick up any anomaly - sorry. It certainly would if there was a direct contact with another line. The fact that it didn't suggests that if there is a direct contact, then it's intermittent, which will make it extremely difficult to find.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else useful to add at this stage. It's very intriguing, and I'd be interested to hear of any further developments.

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
gizmo1962
Hooked

hi many thanks for your reply , allthough openreach monitored the line for 24 hrs they did not find a fault , but last night around 6pm when i was in the bath and my wife answered the phone and gave it to me and yet again we heard what sounds like a cat going meow , and bird and someone giggleing so i phoned up plus net again and waited another 48minutes for support and told them that if this is not sorted out we would come out of contract all though we have only been with them for 1 month as they are not full filling there contract , the advisor i spoke to said that he has only had 1 other case like this and it was down to cordless phones as someone else was picking up the frequence and listerning in all though itb was only 2 doors down , we have explained to plus net that we have got 4 new cordless phones and we never had this problem with our old cordless phones , we have been advised that to get a cord phone and to see if we still get the noise on the line if we do then i will record it again , now allthough i have explained to my friend about how stressing this is for us i am not sure he will co-operate in contacting his isp and using a different phone all though he has got a all in one with fax and 2 other phones , i am still doing the 17070 number option 2 from time to time but cannot here anything , now when i was in the bath talking to my friend i heard a noise and i told him i would phone him back i done the silent line test nothing was there so i phoned him back and yet again we heard nosies , this is stressing us out and yet plus net dont want to send openreach round at the moment due to the cost but i thought that if the noises are timed then it would be a matter for the police thanks again for your help and advice