cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scammers

yorkiecol
Dabbler

scammers

hi got a question hope there is a simple answer. for the last 6weeks we have been recieving calls from scammers. hoax calls and wrong numbers (probably the scammers) how do I stop them had my phone unplugged fro the last 3 weeks as they are so regular. just plug it in to make a call then unplug it again. no one can contact me in this state.  thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: scammers

Do you have Plusnet Call Protect? https://www.plus.net/help/phone/stop-nuisance-calls/

yorkiecol
Dabbler

nope and I don't have a phone with a display.. plugged it back in last night 9.00pm got another this time from the gas board, and we don't have any gas. 

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

I don't think that you need a phone with a display for Call Protect to work. It is free so you could try it to see if it t helps.

I have found it seems to have cut down the number of useless calls here. It won't cut them all out but it does give you a filter.that kills quite a lot. It would be particularly good in stopping calls - as you seemed to suggest you are getting - from jokers (as opposed to professional trying to take money off you) who won't have the skill to change their caller ID..

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've had scam calls, and CLID can be spoofed. So I'd imagine the scammers have worked how to dial using fake numbers.

For what is costs, I would consider getting a phone with CLID so you can be sure what you're answering is genenuine. I assume you're on PlusNet so you'd need to get it enabled their side.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@yorkiecol 

You can stop all of these scammers by buying a BT phone with built in Tue Call tecnolology, sometimes called call guardian. They are not expensive. You will need to activate caller display in your Plusnet account, which is free.

I have had one of these phones for years and never as many as one unwanted call.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've just checked my TrueCall phone call log and I've had 12 spam calls this year, all from different landlines in the Glasgow area.

Yeah, like I believe that Roll_eyes

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @yorkiecol, I am sorry to hear of the nuisance calls you are receiving. I would advise adding our free Call Protect service as @BrightonRock has suggested as it may help reduce the amount of calls being received. You can find out more on how to use this (and add the feature) here.

Alternatively, if you reply on the ticket here with your request to add the feature, we can get this added for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team