cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your landline is being taken over" - Is this a scam or what?

BobM69

"Your landline is being taken over" - Is this a scam or what?

Just saw an email from Plusnet...

Phone number affected: (My landline number)

"Another service provider has told us that someone wants to take over the above line at (my address) on 5th January 2017. This usually means that you're moving to a new home, or someone is moving into your property.

Your Plusnet phone service will be affected by this order. If you have an alarm, medical alerting system, CCTV or any other services connected to your phone line you'll need to speak to the supplier as these will be stopped when your line is taken over. 

Actually there were two of these emails, one of which 'expired' today (26th Dec) at 4pm, so I'm rather concerned that I'm about to have my phone line hijacked by persons unknown because I didn't see it in time.

I've seen a couple of threads about this, is it a scam or what's going on? Needless to say I haven't asked Plusnet to change anything, nor am I moving house.

Anyone else getting this?

3 REPLIES 3
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: "Your landline is being taken over" - Is this a scam or what?

Get online to chat with PN or give them a call before it might be too late. 

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

The way switching works in the UK now is gaining provider led, ie you contact who you are going to and that provider notified PLusnet you are leaving, so in this case looks like either an error on plusnets part, or they have been notified by another service provider that they are taking your account over and migrating to them, or its a scam email.

As Mustrum says, phone them up as if a port has been initiated they can block it if not genuine. 

Just don't click on any of the links on the email in case it is scam!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @BobM69

The email was genuine.

It looks like this email was sent out as we received notification from another provider that they were taking the services over.

I see you've since been in touch and cancelled the take over Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet