Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Pay you you call (Line only)"

ianfretwell
Grafter
Fixes: 1

"Pay you you call (Line only)"

Can sombody give me a straight answer as to what this misleadingly named package actually gives ?

What I actually want is "Line Only" - i.e. a line, for broadband only, no incoming or outgoing calls whatsoever  -  can Plusnet not supply such a package anymore ?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: "Pay you you call (Line only)"

Hi @ianfretwell

Absolutely, we explain Here what you get for Line Only.

I've added this below too:

Call type How we charge
UK landline Charged at standard rates at all times
UK mobile and 070 personal numbering services Charged at standard rates at all times
Non-geographical (0845 and 0870) Charged at standard rates at all times
International (landline and mobile) Charged at standard rates at all times
Plusnet to Plusnet Inclusive at all times
Calls to Plusnet Free at all times

For this you'll just pay for line rental (currently at £21.22) on top of the cost of your broadband service. You will be able to make and receive calls though but that'd be entirely your choice, for example you can simply not plug a phone in. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ianfretwell
Grafter

Thanks...

So it really is a terrible name for it then -  "Line Only"  - because it's not.

As it can both make and receive calls.

I take there is no 'real' line-only option from yourselves and I'd have to take the phone element back to BT to get this (assuming of course they still do it) ?

Thanks again,

Ian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @ianfretwell What are you actually wanting though? To pay line rental for a Line Only package and not be able to use a home phone? 

[edit]

Are you referring to ‘naked DSL’ where you’d get broadband over the copper pair without paying line rental as such? I don’t believe we’ve ever provided this but some of the more niche providers look like they do. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ianfretwell
Grafter

Yes, essentially the first thing you've described :- just pay for the line rental, so that I can use broadband over it. With absolutely no phone services at all.

After all, who needs it with mobiles? And into the bargain it'd stop the 90% spam/scam calls we get (yes, I know I could just unplug the phone).

I can't be the first person to ask...

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Ah OK, as far as I’m aware and I’ve worked here for 7 years we’ve never provided a phone service in this way. 

Am I missing something but isn’t the easiest solution to this would be not to plug a phone in? Roll_eyes

Having said that if you’re worried about someone in your household plugging a phone in to make calls, you can block outgoing calls through call barring > https://www.plus.net/help/phone/call-features/

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ianfretwell
Grafter

No worries then, and thanks for all the info.

Ian

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problem @ianfretwell 

Out of interest what’s sparking the question?

If you’re paying the same amount of line rental then I would’ve thought you’d want the option to make & receive calls but if you don’t want that then applying call barring to your line is a way to achieve what you’d want. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ianfretwell
Grafter

Saving money more than anything else, I really was expecting there to be a literal "line only" service essentially as a tier beneath the one you have as "line only" now.

Having just looked at changing my plan down to "line only" it saying my bill will be £43 whereas now it's £31 - so there's something odd there - or its because I'm in contract currently.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Ah I see, makes sense. 

The product change tool when changing your call plan doesn’t take into account of discounts you may have towards your bills for being within contract. 

If you put the change through without making a change to your broadband, you should just see your bills go down by how much your call plan was. 

Let us know if there are any issues though. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@ianfretwell  The service you are thinking about is called SOGEA - see https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/fibre-broadband/sogea  however as @Gandalf  / @Anoush  has mentioned it is not a service PN provides, neither do many other providers.

BT does provide it on some exchanges, as does EE who give a £2/m reduction - however you would probably get a better deal from PN with the option to make and receive calls - just don't use them. That said, a phone is one of the best tool you can have to diagnose broadband faults on a line.