Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet, release my old telephone number so my new provider can reuse it

Telegraphhill
Dabbler

plusnet, release my old telephone number so my new provider can reuse it

Hello Plusnet Forum,

being with plusnet for nearly 2 years i did change my telephone provider (sorry). But my new telephone provider (Vodafone) is not able to reactivate my old number after 14 days cooling off period at BT and asking me to get in contact with plusnet to release the number. Never heard about this. What do you think?

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: plusnet, release my old telephone number so my new provider can reuse it

Hi there. Firstly welcome back to our community forums and I'm sorry to see you've left us.

Looking at this it sounds like that Vodafone took over your line without importing your telephone number, which resulted in the number being ceased. As I can see the rangeholder of your telephone number is TalkTalk Business, it would've gone back to them. A rangeholder is a network where the number was first made.

Once the number is ceased it goes back to the rangeholder and assuming that Vodafone don't use TalkTalk's network and work with Openreach in the same way as we do, ceased numbers cannot be imported between rangeholders. Unless the provider in question who wants the number had previously provided it and ceased the number in error.

You'll be able to check this by entering your number Here clicking Lookup Number and then looking at the operator/rangeholder.

If I'm right, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there may not be anything Vodafone can do I'm afraid.

[edit]

Looks like Vodafone use the BT network. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Telegraphhill
Dabbler

Hello Gandalf,

many thanks for the information, and, you are right, the telephone number is owned by Talk Talk Business. What I don't understand is the fact, that every provider by default MUST port the old number. (Good information about this can be found at ofcom page.) Does that mean I can ask for compensation at my new provider?   BTW, the Technical Service and support at Plusnet is really the best and most friendly I have experienced. And I have 40+ years experience with telephone providers in different country's ... 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @Telegraphhill 

Cheers for getting back to us and thanks for your kind words. Smiley

As far as I'm aware the rules on number porting apply to active phone numbers. It may be worth discussing this with Vodafone finding out more information as to why they didn't transfer your number while it was active when taking over the line, assuming they were aware that you wanted to keep the number when you signed up with them.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet