cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone worth swapping

ARone
Grafter

phone worth swapping

hi , I have broadband with plusnet but phone with  bt and pay them advance rental by quarterly bill , Id like to move phone to plusnet to keep with one company but an confused about terms.
As Id like to avoid paying my 3 months in advance for quarterly rental to BT and mess about getting refund so when would be the best time to arrange a switch to Plusnet so I am not paying 2 people fore rental and how log to take over line
Would I be losing anything , only thing I can think of is that we have the unlimited alarm call feature but thats not essential but are these extras available I cant see any mention ?
One last question do I keep my phone number ?
I cant seem to find a faq on this anywhere so sorry for questions hoping someone has some experience   : )
20 REPLIES 20
reserved
Grafter

Re: phone worth swapping

I swapped from bt and have no regrets!
Can't really answer you about best time to swap.
The only thing I can think of that is extra is caller id @ 99p which I believe is free with bt.
You should be able to keep your number, see http://www.plus.net/support/phone/home_phone/phone_faq.shtml#availability
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I swapped just after bt sent me my latest bill, I contacted them saying I was leaving and didn't/couldn't pay the £50 bill they told me to cancel the DD and they would send a finial bill after I had left - now got that but of-course it is wrong  Cry
My regrets since moving to PN
No FREE caller ID - I don't see why in this day and age we are still paying for something that was introduced as an exchange feature in the 80's!
I have been inundated with "sales" calls double glazing/free holidays etc SINCE I transferred (ON THE DAY I transferred I had my FIRST M$ Phone call  >:() and PN Say they haven't changed my TPS status but it is only SINCE I transferred I have been getting these crank calls NOT HAPPY PN  Cry
My ticket with them is a laugh - WHEN they reply - 3-4 days is normal - they say I should PAY MORE MONEY FOR CALL FEATURES I WILL NEVER/HAVE NEVER USE/D. With BT I had Privacy at Home for FREE 0 basically TPS registration and caller id no need for any other call features at ££££/month.
I am SERIOUSLY thinking about moving my phone to another provider just to get FREE caller ID AGAIN!
Not applicable

I did the opposite two years ago - swapped from PN to BT and have no regrets.  Caller ID free and line rental £9.99 per month.  The whole package is less than £15 per month.I didn't have Caller ID with Plusnet but would really miss it now.  I am getting International calls lately and I just don't answer them when this comes up so it is very helpful indeed.
ARone
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
/couldn't pay the £50 bill they told me to cancel the DD and they would send a finial bill after I had left - now got that but of-course it is wrong  Cry

interesting , wrong in what way  Huh
amcclean
Rising Star

My other half is looking at our previous months bills just now and trying to work out the difference in monthly bill with pn as opposed to toucan/tiscalli/pipex and now talktalk.
99p per month for id display on top of one of the highest line line rentals is bitter pill to swallow.
Do you get increased voip minute when you take a pn phone line?
podman
amcclean
Rising Star

Just totaled up the charges and packages and pn is way more expensive than our talktalk package. Guess we'll be staying with the enemy for a while longer.
podman
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: ARone
interesting , wrong in what way  Huh

Overcharged
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
I have been inundated with "sales" calls double glazing/free holidays etc SINCE I transferred (ON THE DAY I transferred I had my FIRST M$ Phone call  >:() and PN Say they haven't changed my TPS status but it is only SINCE I transferred I have been getting these crank calls NOT HAPPY PN  Cry
My ticket with them is a laugh - WHEN they reply - 3-4 days is normal - they say I should PAY MORE MONEY FOR CALL FEATURES I WILL NEVER/HAVE NEVER USE/D. With BT I had Privacy at Home for FREE 0 basically TPS registration and caller id no need for any other call features at ££££/month.

TPS is your responsibility, not the telecom company. Having said that I believe that there should be more of a warning that you could get delisted from the TPS if you move your phone to another supplier.
16. Do I need to renew my subscription with the TPS?
If you have registered a residential number or a number belonging to a sole trader or (except in Scotland) partnership, you do not need to renew. However, if you have registered a number on to the Corporate TPS belonging to a Limited company, Plc or other large organisation, you are required to renew annually. In this case TPS will send you an e-mail each year to notify you of this. Failure to renew will result in your number(s) being removed from the CTPS data file. Please be aware that if you change your telephone package, obtained broadband or change telephone line service provider for example, we may receive notice from your current/old line service provider that your line has been made inactive. In this case your number would be removed from the file as the service is only intended for live numbers.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

so why does tps say I am still registered?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hairy Biker,
I'm sorry for any issues you've had with us, I will look deeper into those.
With regards to TPS if you are registered and are still receiving calls then I'd advise contacting TPS for advice as they may be able to do something about that for you.
@ARone
As Id like to avoid paying my 3 months in advance for quarterly rental to BT and mess about getting refund so when would be the best time to arrange a switch to Plusnet so I am not paying 2 people fore rental and how log to take over line

Common sense would say to do this would be towards the end of the 3 month billing period as to avoid unnecessary payments, but you'll need to check with BT regarding notice periods because that may affect this.
Would I be losing anything , only thing I can think of is that we have the unlimited alarm call feature but thats not essential but are these extras available I cant see any mention ?

I'm pretty sure that is possible but I will look into that to make sure. By default call features aren't carried over so you'd need to make sure you request anything like that you need when signing up. You should have options to do so but let us know if not.

It's not guaranteed but is usually possible.
I cant seem to find a faq on this anywhere so sorry for questions hoping someone has some experience 

No problem, there are staff and customers here to help you and I'm sorry it took us a few days to reply. Hope that helps.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

It's not guaranteed but is usually possible.

Is it normal for the number to change when changing to a different billing company?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Talk- Talk and Sky  - sorry swore twice they often kill numbers
itsme
Grafter

TT and Sky have equipment in some exchanges so will move you off BT's equipment so to keep your existing number you need to port it but most users will not realise this.
But I would not expect to see a number change when changing to a different supplier still on BT's equipment
pierre_pierre
Grafter

TT have a bad habit when they think you are leaving they foreclose the line even if you do it via a MAC and you then have to get a new number