Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone interferes with BB

albert
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

phone interferes with BB

I wonder if anyone can help... quite often when we get an incoming phonecall, we lose our BB internet connection for a few seconds. this is a real pain if I'm in the middle of working on something online. We've got all the ADSL filters but I'm wondering whether the fact that some of the phones can be used hands free is affecting things.
Grateful for advice.
5 REPLIES 5
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: phone interferes with BB

Hi albert,
I'd suggest trying alternative micro-filters and also corded phone if possible. If you're able to try this and you still have the same issue then try having just one microfilter connected into your <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml#whatsTest">test socket</a> with your router and phone plugged into their.
If the issues still appears to be present then I'd suggest raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net
Chris
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Do you have any other problems with phone calls Albert? Can you hear any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Does the phone sometimes ring and appear to cut-off, yet there is a caller on the line? Who do you pay your line rental to?
albert
Rising Star

Thanks, Chris,
PlusNet is our phone provider but i guess it comes through a BT line as we were with a different provider previously.
The microfilters were provided by PlusNet. it's a bit expensive going out and buying a different phone. Don't think we have a test socket.
None of the other probs mentioned by Anotherone have been noted... the quality has not been an issue.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Your main socket (NTE5a), the one that the BT incoming cable goes to, should look like the Master Socket on the left. You then undo the two screws and remove this lower front plate to see the test socket Chris referred to. Doing this disconnects any fixed extension sockets that you may have (whose wiring is connected to the back of the front plate) so that if there is a fault on your internal wiring it is isolated (this is your own responsibility).
You should try a different filter where you have your modem/router plugged in, even if it means unplugging one from another socket and you should not plug the other back in until testing is done.
If your Master socket is like the one in the middle picture, if you have fixed extension sockets you should unplug things from every other socket and leave them unplugged until you've checked by swapping the filter and only having a phone and modem/router plugged into the master socket.
Assuming you still have a problem after those checks, Plusnet should do a "copper" test on your line and find the problem and get an Openreach engineer to fix the phone line fault.
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: albert
it's a bit expensive going out and buying a different phone.

If you have a strong and reliable mobile signal fine, but otherwise you should have corded phone for emergency use in case of power failure. They can be had for less than a tenner.