cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone doesn't ring when someone calls

picbits
Rising Star

Re: phone doesn't ring when someone calls

Work with Plusnet on this one Jamie - the good news is that they are one of the easier (and better) providers to try and deal with.
If it had happened with certain other ISP's / Telephone providers you could be in with a lot more messing about.
The idea of using the filter (as stated above) is that they have some components in that can regenerate the ring signal. This would be a temporary solution to your problem until it was fixed.
If you have taken the faceplate off the master socket and tried a couple of phones in the test socket and still have the same problem then it will be a BT issue. There will not be a £50 fee as the fault (as Jim says) is with the BT side of the equipment.
Plusnet ask you to do all the tests so they can tick the boxes and then go to BT with the evidence that it is a supplier fault and not one caused by the customer. This is for your protection and not to waste time or be pedantic etc etc.
BT may need access to your property if they can't find an issue with the external equipment - it is not unknown for a master socket to fail. If they allocate an engineer for the job, it is easier for a single engineer on a single appointment to do the whole job rather than a second engineer trying to pick up from where the first left off if there is no access to the property. They can also do an end to end test of your phone line to make sure there are no further issues after the repair.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted soon Smiley
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

Quote from: DomS
Work with Plusnet on this one Jamie - the good news is that they are one of the easier (and better) providers to try and deal with.
If it had happened with certain other ISP's / Telephone providers you could be in with a lot more messing about.
The idea of using the filter (as stated above) is that they have some components in that can regenerate the ring signal. This would be a temporary solution to your problem until it was fixed.
If you have taken the faceplate off the master socket and tried a couple of phones in the test socket and still have the same problem then it will be a BT issue. There will not be a £50 fee as the fault (as Jim says) is with the BT side of the equipment.
Plusnet ask you to do all the tests so they can tick the boxes and then go to BT with the evidence that it is a supplier fault and not one caused by the customer. This is for your protection and not to waste time or be pedantic etc etc.
BT may need access to your property if they can't find an issue with the external equipment - it is not unknown for a master socket to fail. If they allocate an engineer for the job, it is easier for a single engineer on a single appointment to do the whole job rather than a second engineer trying to pick up from where the first left off if there is no access to the property. They can also do an end to end test of your phone line to make sure there are no further issues after the repair.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted soon Smiley

yeah its not the potential £50 fee that is the issue though its the fact that I have to take a day off work unpaid and the fact that the issue obviously isn't in my property. they wont even give the option of an engineer coming out on a Saturday, and I know BT do have engineers working on a Saturday as I had one come out on a Saturday a couple of years  a go when I was with sky
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

We can book Saturday appointments if they are available however it all depends on the resourcing in your area.
At this moment in time there isn't a Saturday available I'm afraid.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

Quote from: Matthew
We can book Saturday appointments if they are available however it all depends on the resourcing in your area.

what?! every BT engineer is booked for every saturday forever?
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

Quote from: jamie1976uk

what?! every BT engineer is booked for every saturday forever?

apologies if it sounds like in having a go at you. im just really frustrated that i switched from a service that worked perfectly well with sky. the engineers have obviously screwed something up during the switchover and i the one thats going to be left out of pocket by having to have a day off work unpaid.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I appreciate this, and I wish we can do more.
In some areas Saturday appointments just aren't available for us to book, even though other Openreach engineers are working.
The only thing I can suggest would be to ask if someone else could wait in the house for you? As long as they are over 18 anyone you trust would be fine for BT.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

cool,  had I feeling if it was this lot that came out, they would say the issue was on my property even if it wasn't, just so they could get £50 out of me

Hi,
If by "this lot" you mean PlusNet, please be assured that it is NOT PlusNet who raise these charges, it is BT Openreach and PlusNet are following standard procedures to mitigate the opportunity for BTOR to raise charges.  BTOR's usual approach is to test the line from the home WHNE their test systems do not detect a problem from their end.  I am guessing that the test systems do not identify a fault in your line...
One thing to check (its not unheard of) if you dial 17070 does it correctly identify your number?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jamie1976uk
Dabbler

Quote from: plusnettony
I appreciate this, and I wish we can do more.
In some areas Saturday appointments just aren't available for us to book, even though other Openreach engineers are working.
The only thing I can suggest would be to ask if someone else could wait in the house for you? As long as they are over 18 anyone you trust would be fine for BT.

its funny how every other ISP i have been with, sending an engineer to the property has always been a last resort, and when they have come out its always been fine for them to come out on a saturday.
everyone else that lives within a reasonable distance from me also works for a living and why should i have to inconvenience my friends and family when THE PROBLEM IS AT YOUR END!!!!!
the way i see it is, i paid plusnet to provide me with a WORKING phone line, which they have not. so i think if was to take it further id have grounds to terminate my contract wih plusnet
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

Quote from: Townman
cool,  had I feeling if it was this lot that came out, they would say the issue was on my property even if it wasn't, just so they could get £50 out of me

Hi,
. BTOR's usual approach is to test the line from the home WHNE their test systems do not detect a problem from their end.  I am guessing that the test systems do not identify a fault in your line...
One thing to check (its not unheard of) if you dial 17070 does it correctly identify your number?

this is point my exactly. plusnet will NOT even pass the problem onto the BT to investigate at their end, they're insisting that they come straight out to my property
i've dialled 17070 and its fine. i can recieve  calls if i know someone is phoning. the caller display even works, but i have to be looking at the phone to know when someone is calling
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

just google searched this problem, found a few instances of it, and they said the problem was a faulty line card AT THE EXCHANGE
AndyT
Grafter

Hopefully I can clarify a few things for you here Jamie.
The first thing we do when you report a phone fault is to remotely test your circuit to see if we can identify an external network fault.  If no external fault is identified, our suppliers will request that we organise for an engineer to visit your premises so that full point-to-point testing can be carried out from your test/master socket, in an attempt to identify the fault location.  Before arranging the appointment, we ask that the internal checks previously mentioned are completed to ensure the fault is not being caused by your internal equipment.  This allows us to arrange a visit without the prospect of a potential call out charge being passed on to you.
As you have completed the internal testing and the fault is still apparent, we are left with no option other than to arrange an engineer appointment.  I appreciate your frustration with this and agree that the fault is very unlikely to be internal to your property.  The idea of them sending an engineer to your premises is not to look to for an internal fault, but to ensure they are testing the full length of your circuit from end to end.  This means that no aspect of your circuit is left untested and will hopefully help the engineer to diagnose and rectify the fault in one visit.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

All of which misses the point that all was well before the OP's line was moved from Sky LLU to BT.  The fault finding process could be shortened considerably if BT checked the exchange port first before proceeding with the full line test.  First rule of fault finding - Look at what's changed!
The mark of good support is the ability to push back against standard process where appropriate rather than just shrugging shoulders and saying "that's how it's always done"...
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

As an ex-BT technician, I can appreciate and empathise with the OP's frustration.
In ye olden dayes, the (local) fault clerk would have phoned the exchange technician, and it would all be fixed in 15 mins tops.
Unfortunately, part of the price we pay for modernisation and computerisation is that logic is the first casualty.
"There is a process for that - do not dare think!"
So as much as I sympathise, jamie1976uk, that's the way it is.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

After badgering our suppliers for half a hour they've agreed to have a engineer go out to the exchange.
We should have further updates over the next couples of days.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

After badgering our suppliers for half a hour they've agreed to have a engineer go out to the exchange.
We should have further updates over the next couples of days.

great, thanks very much i really appreicate that, and apologies again if it seemed like i was just being awkward.  if it was just a case of me having to stay in while i waited for an engineer it wouldnt be a problem. its just the fact that id have to lose a days wages which i cant afford to do