Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone doesn't ring when someone calls

jamie1976uk
Dabbler

phone doesn't ring when someone calls

hi,
i just joined plusnet a couple of weeks ago and i've had trouble since they switched me over from sky. when someone phones me there's audible ring. the caller ID appears in the phones display. so unless im actually looking at the phone when someone calls i never know. we have twin handsets that use the same base, and at first i thought it was an issue with the phone (even though i thought it was bit of a coincidence that it started the exact same day i switched over to plusnet) . so i tried an old chorded phone, still no ring when i called my landline from my mobile.  i unscrewed the cover and plugged it into the master socket to make sure the problem wasnt in my property, still no ring.
  now i'd confirned that it must be an issue at the exchange when they switched me over , i raised an issue online with plusnet. they sent me a link to a youtube video getting me to do what i had already done, now they are insisting that the next step is to send an engineer out to my property ( even though the fault is obviously not at my end), and the only time they can come is during my working hours, so they expect me to have a day off work unpaid so they can send a guy round to tell me that the fault isnt in my property.
when i asked if they would reimburse me for my lost of earnings when they find the fault isnt in my property, they said they cant do that but as a good will gesture  they would give me a free months broadband.... WOW... £2.50 a month im paying for broadband. when i asked if i was still in my cooling off period , i was told the cooling off period was 14 days from when i placed the order.... it took them 3 weeks to switch me over
totally peed off with this lot already
35 REPLIES 35
picbits
Rising Star

Re: phone doesn't ring when someone calls

If you have a spare microfilter, try that - it sounds strange but they have an internal circuit for generating a ring.
joclark
Grafter

Hi jamie1976uk , If the micro filter doesn't work contact the support team, there could be a fault on the line.
Keep us updated Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

I strongly suspect a line fault as there should always be a ring voltage present at the master socket when an incoming call happens.
Still worth the microfilter test though to see if it can be used as a temporary solution.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I guess it could be a faulty master socket. Plugging a filter into the Test socket and the phone into that is a good check.  Wink
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Read the original post again  Roll_eyes
A corded phone has been tried in the test socket - Not a microfilter probem
He's already contacted support
The problem started when the line was re-jumpered on moving from Sky LLU
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: pwatson
Read the original post again  Roll_eyes
No need. Read mine again.  Wink (Hint - he didn't say he tried it with a filter and I didn't say it was a microfilter problem)
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Correct but a phone should work in the test socket without a filter - He's done this and the fault occurred at the same point as the service switchover.  He'd have to be fairly unlucky for the master socket to go faulty at that exact point...
picbits
Rising Star

I suspect he may already be using a microfilter - if he is paying £2.50 a month for his internet he will probably be on ADSL so will need to be using a microfilter (unless he has a new VDSL type plate fitted).
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: pwatson
Correct but a phone should work in the test socket without a filter

Quote from: HPsauce
I guess it could be a faulty master socket.
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

hi,
sorry for the delayed response .
yes I have tried a corded phone in the test socket , with and without a filter. cant see why I would need a filter if I had no broadband router connected though.
my main beef is this ridiculous policy of insisting they come to my house before they check their end first.  do they have their own engineers or would it be BT?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

BT Openreach
They would check whether the ring signal is being received and take it from there
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

cool,  had I feeling if it was this lot that came out, they would say the issue was on my property even if it wasn't, just so they could get £50 out of me
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you tried at the test socket - that is their property so no chance of them claiming successfully
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

that's good to know
cant see why they wont check their end first though. I switched to plusnet to save a bit of money, i'll lose 10 times the amount I saved by moving if I have to have a day off work  for the engineer to come out and tell me that's theres nothing wrong at my end. 
even if the test socket is closed as their equipment , what are the chances of that breaking the same day they switch me over?  its not even an old master socket, its less than 2 years old
jim:quote