cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone charges

robbo6457
Dabbler

Re: phone charges

My My, I seem to have stirred up a 'bit of a mess'  First off Linn , I merely quoted from my itemised phone records,and as I stated earlier , mobile phones are alien to me, hence the workings and 'timing ' rules also mean nothing, although  ( I still have a few 'marbles' left - in my dotage??) Perhaps if I were more au fait I may not have the problem ??  Looking through the replies from others,,  It seems my initial reaction would be the correct one , forget it all , and never try the 'ring only' technique again;even th'o  quite a few of you do not have this problem !!!   I will however , ask my daughter to yet again approach  the Tesco people and pose the same question. you have asked  ....  If I may , I would like to say Many thanks to  Townman,,Ben Trimble, DomS and w23, for your own input, even though some of it, is between you, and 'over my head' !!
                                Please forgive me , but as I intimated , getting a little tired and frustrated with  things .. Hopefully not too many people will have the same trouble  as I .   Thanks once more  to all,   Best wishes
picbits
Rising Star

Hey Robbo - don't worry about "rocking the boat" - if there is a genuine issue here (and we've possibly seen it before) then it's best to get it out in the open and get it resolved so other customers don't have the same problem in the future.
If nobody says anything then the problem won't get resolved. You shouldn't have to put up with (and pay) for something that isn't right. If its a user error then we'll all have a giggle and move on. If it is a problem with Tesco / BT / Plusnet then someone somewhere is making money out of customers that they shouldn't.
Hang around and keep up updates Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Robbo,
Worry not, you are doing the right thing in chasing for answers.  Someone such as yourself who has a reproducible problem can do a great service to others who have also encountered this issue.
The simple act of making a phone call is now supported by a complex array of technology and networks.  Not so many years ago, life was simpler there were two networks GPO Telephones and Kingston upon Hull Telephones - generally your call was carried end to end by one provider.
Now we have a complex mix of technology delivering multiple wired networks, a vast array of mobile networks, over which a multitude of resellers sell phone packages.  If you add into that mix the ability to move a number originally owned by one provider to a new provider, the task of routing a call is now technically complex with greater risk of things going wrong.
If you can be enticed, you have a unique opportunity to assist others as well as yourself to investigate the charging of calls which were not believed to have actually connected.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

robbo6457
Dabbler

Hi there DomS,
                        many thanks for the 'chins up', it was'nt really a matter of surrendering, it was in effect  just me ,I was under the impression it was getting a little bit beyond me.    I will in fact push my daughter to get onto someone at Tesco, who really knows what they are talking about and try to reach a positive conclusion..
Naturally , be glad to pass on any usefull info gleaned..    Thanks again DomS
robbo6457
Dabbler

Hello again Townman,
                                    I could'nt agree more regarding the technology issue, I have very mixed feelings about same.  Somewhere along the line (no pun ) we seem to have gone over the top with some things,and made reasonably mundane things ,somewhat more complicated... ! or perhaps it's me ' too long in the tooth' ?
  Yes, I can be enticed to 'carry on chasing the matter '  Must change direction with my thinking !!  Thanks again cheers
petecov44
Grafter

No wonder they can afford all this wonderful technology. Seeing as they charge 15.1p a minute to ring a landline off peak.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've got a work O2 mobile and a personal Tesco mobile.  The Tesco number used to be on Virgin and has been ported across.
I've just made test calls to both mobiles via my Asterisk server and they both show as 'No Answer' on the call log and do not appear on my VOIP providers call records.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I've just had a thought, she doesn't have hands free kit in a car does she?  On one of our cars the built in hands free answers the call straight away, even before the driver accepts or rejects the call.  In our case the caller gets a message saying "The person they are calling is driving, Please wait", but I suppose some systems may answer and just play a ringing tone.  Could anything like that be at play?
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JWalters

Hi Robbo
I have been passed this issue from Ben and will be looking into it for you, I have gathered the data needed and sent it on to get complete information of the calls and hopefully routing. Any updates I get for you regarding this I will post on your account via ticket.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: Townman
Robbo,
Worry not, you are doing the right thing in chasing for answers.  Someone such as yourself who has a reproducible problem can do a great service to others who have also encountered this issue.

Yes, this certainly needs sorting.
I don't have occasion to use the 'ring only' technique, but -
If SWMBO is out and I call her EE mobile from the landline, there's a good chance that it will go to voicemail before she fishes the phone from the depths of her handbag. Therefore I clear the call after a few rings. She will have at heard it, and be ready to answer when I call again. I would not be at all happy if the first call was chargeable.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
robbo6457
Dabbler

Hello again gentlemen,
                          so sorry have not caught up with posts recently. Thanks to all the new 'additions ' ,, pjmarsh,Force E, and of course the Jwalker  'Plusnet'!
  I have nothing further to report  on the subject in question,  My daughter approached Tesco with the problem (again)  but it seems to be the old ' to and fro' game ,! " It ain't us " and so on ...  In the meantime , as I said, earlier I have not repeated the exercise.. and Plusnet appear to be still investigating the matter ?Huh
  I know , two or three quid is not the end of the world, but as I'm sure you all agree, the 'old bleat'.    It's a ' matter of principle' ?Huh
                                        Thanks again, to you all, for your interest
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I doubt that Tesco will / can have much input here.  They are simply your daughter's billing agent.  It will be either the O2 network or a connecting gateway which is generating the phantom call answered signal.