Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone Fault for 6 months

Retractor
Grafter
Fixes: 1

phone Fault for 6 months

I have had at least 5 engineers attend this property and no internal problems have been found the last Engineers said the problem was either too many user at the exchange or a fault at your end. This has happen through 2 different ISP. Each time the fault as been reported I have been told that there is a line in-balance. Before this problem there was a stable very good connection.

Initially several remedial actions were taken
i.e. remade a joint externally, Changed cable connection on the 2 nearest poles and fitted a new master socket. All this did was to fix the problem for a few weeks before the problem arose again.
This problem keeps reappearing.  One of Your own technical advisor to-day heard the crackling on the line and noticed the router drop its connect.

I am appalled that I am told that I may get charged for a problem that should have been fixed 6 months ago and as caused no end of distress at this end. There is STILL a terminally ill old lady at this address needing medical attention every day with a phone line that is unreliable.
In light of situation OPENREACH needs to sort this problem and not keep making temporary botches. OPENREACH do not seam to do anything to resolve the in-balance problem.
Currently I am very VERY disappointed with PN and could not recommend them to anyone because of my experience via OPENREACH. Due to previous work done by Openreach it seams that the in-balance is a problem which needs fixing.

13 REPLIES 13
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: phone Fault for 6 months

yikes, thats terrible ;-(

The problem on top pf that is even if you leave Plusnet all providers (apart from Virgin) will sue the copper part of the phone line, even for LLU operators like TalkTalk 😞

I don't know if Openreach have a vulnerable persons unit that it can be escalated to, might be worth when calling up saying you want to make an executive level complaint due to the time its talking to get resolved and the medical situation.

On the being told you might have to pay, I think that is so if for some reason an engineer comes out and finds a fault in your home, Plusnet will have to pay for the visit, if the line is crackling and you have the phone plugged into the test port it proves the fault is outside (like you already know!) so won't get charged ever for external faults.

I've helped out many friends with noise on the line and it turned out to be a faulty micro-filter - they would have been charged by their ISP had they had an engineer turn up!

Hope you get some traction and  get it fixed soon.

Retractor
Grafter

Had Phone call Last night from PN via the mobile.

Another engineer has been arranged for the 29th, I have been assured that the problem will be resolved even if it means a complete new copper cable.

Just hope PN have a strong enough arm to make this Openreach problem vanish. It may take a few weeks but fingers crossed this is sorted sooner than later.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Really sorry for the issues here.

Are you ok to let us know how the engineer appointment goes today? ^MC

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Retractor
Grafter

Hi Matty.

The engineer has just left. He  believes there is a problem at the exchange and will hand the problem over to the exchange team. He agreed that the Fibre speed is very slow although telephone appears good at the moment.

I have no idea as to when they will pick this up but it wants to be soon as I think I have waited long enough with this fault. They should have seen the problem was not internal to this property after the first  2-3 visits. Please put a rocket up them. All I want is a reliable telephone and fibre connection as all shopping ,medical contact etc. is made via broadband or Telephone currently.

Retractor
Grafter

Nothing found at exchange. Now trying a new higher spec router.

Retractor
Grafter

Phone line crackling again after approximately. month OK. This is with a new VDSL router to replace the low spec device supplied by PN (BT`s cast off).

I am thoroughly annoyed with PN and OPENREACH,   I have had 6-8 engineers out but no fault at this property, nothing found on the copper most have blamed PN. I think it is time for SFI (Special Faults Inspector).

I am fed up with this situation with phone which also causes the router to drop out as well.

I have only been with PN 3 months and regretting I ever hearing of them.

Due to A terminally ill old lady still at this address I need to take this matter much further. Not being able to contact PN after 10 pm by any manner than this forum is totally ludicrous. Made even more stupid by the fact that the router goes down so no contact at all.

additional info

The router drop the VDSL connection several times during the fault especially after any use of the phone. Eventually it stopped crackling and the router returned to near normal speeds but slower  but during the fault the router was connecting at 10 - 12 MBPS slower on the down side and well under 1 Mbps on the up side. As the phone seems to be the problem and PN get a payment from me for that phone please get it fixed soon, as it is unfair to wait at least 3 working days every time this happens. 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Thank you for your time on the phone this evening @Retractor

Once again, I'm really sorry to hear of the ongoing problems you've been through.

As discussed, I've booked your SFI visit for the Tuesday 24th between 8am and 1pm. I'll call you back at some point in the afternoon to follow up.

Please feel free to let me know if you would like me to call at a more precise time (+/- 30 minutes).

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Retractor
Grafter

HI Anoush

Thanks for your assistance.

You can call anytime but please try to avoid a few minutes before and after 18:30 and 19:30. As the phone is likely to be busy due to the carers for my mother-in-law using it to call their office.

Additional info

Today Saturday 31st connection on upload down to 0.80.Mbps and not the normal 2Mbps. Router also showing number errors on upload as 4294967156 errors on download 97. The error figure have been minimal till Today.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problem. Please pass on my best wishes to your mother in law.

I hope your speed/stability does come back.

Having said that, if the problem occurs next Tuesday morning it may help the engineer diagnose the issue.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Retractor
Grafter

Thanks Anoush for all your efforts and concern.

The engineer arrived at a difficult time I allowed him to carry out his checks which he perform quietly and speedily.

As you are aware he did not find anything. That said the phone has not demonstrated any problems since the weekend and hope it stays that way.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problems @Retractor

I forgot to update this thread after our conversation. Once again, thanks for your time on the phone. Whilst I'm happy to hear everything appears to be working at the moment, sorry that the engineer couldn't find an issue.

*Fingers crossed* it indeed stays that way. Feel free to let me know if the fault returns and I'll see what I can do. Also worth to update your ticket here if you need to.

Retractor
Grafter

Thank you Anoush 

My mother-in-law past away on Saturday 28th. at the age of 86.

The urgency of the fault effecting the phone as reduced some. I will let you know if the problem arises again.

Thanks

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I'm really sorry to hear this. Cry

Please pass on my condolences to your family.

I hope that the fault doesn't return, but do let me know if it arises again.