cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no phone for 2 weeks

andyhunt100

no phone for 2 weeks

what has happened these days, my phone has been off going on two weeks, firstly I'm told its my fault (as usual) then of course they admit it's an external line fault, then the engineer can't do anything cos' theres trees round the pole, need a platform he says, here we are a week later, where is this platform coming from? have they only got one? I despair,
the money leaves my account every month, bang on, never a hitch,no line faults there,  but one little wire snaps and it's a two week major job, meanwhile I suppose I'm still paying for this super service, I think I see now why they say the future is mobile networks taking over, can't wait.
16 REPLIES 16
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: no phone for 2 weeks

Hi Andy,
Welcome to the forums, sorry to hear about your difficulties in getting your line sorted.  PlusNet's Digital Care Team (DCT) should be able to update you tomorrow IF (and only if) BTOR have provided the correct data to PlusNet.
I recently had a line down and it went something like this...
Wednesday 13:10 the phone line went dead, I reported it to PN at 13:30 who confirmed there was a disconnected leg - estimated repair Friday.
Friday morning whilst talking to neighbours, I learn that their phones are down as well - it was suggest that the repair would take 10 days.  Contacted PN, they were reporting that BTOR had located the fault and that the repair would be complete on Friday.  Contacted PN late on Friday as phone was still down - BTOR now reporting a major cable fault, no forecast for repair.
Monday morning phone working again.
Wednesday PN sent update / apology for the delay in repairing the phone line - noted it was working - PN advised that the data from BTOR was that the repair was still in progress.

Moral of the story, PN information is no better than the quality provided to them by BTOR, who at times could not arrange to get drunk in a brewery!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Townman

Wednesday PN sent update / apology for the delay in repairing the phone line - noted it was working - PN advised that the data from BTOR was that the repair was still in progress.

Moral of the story, PN information is no better than the quality provided to them by BTOR, who at times could not arrange to get drunk in a brewery!

Just because the phone was working does not mean that the repair is completed
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Andy,
I'm sorry if you felt as though we were blaming the fault on you. We asked for you to carry out a couple of tests to rule out anything internal that potentially could have been causing the problem - it's quite reasonable we ask of this as it helps us ensure that resolving the fault isn't going to be chargeable to you.
With regards to the fault itself, the fault has been identified between your Green Cabinet and Distribution Point (Underground in this case). The fault is approximately 222m within the cabling, an issue with the insulation. We're awaiting for a jointing engineer to be assigned for further work on the fault.
I appreciate this doesn't go any way to help resolve the issue, however, I hope it gives a bit of insight into the fact that work is ongoing with this and we're doing out best to provide you with updates on the problem.
andyhunt100

my gripe here is not really with plusnet, who to be honest have been a great provider, and the service has always been very well maintained.
my axe to grind is with BTOR, they maintain these lines which we all pay for, and don't employ enough engineers to service the equipment in their charge, in our area they ship in engineers from many miles away to try to fill the gap, and moving operatives from one county to another just means they leave a gap somewhere else, and as they own everything and merely rent it out to companies, most of which they own anyway, they hold a monopoly on the entire system.
competition is what is needed, and come the day when this is all done over the airwaves, they will really have to up their game,
well that's my rant done with,
have a great day everybody
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Andy,
So true, however if in a given location the BTOR infrastructure is poor, then one is likely to find that the wireless service is little better.
I live in a not so little village in North Cheshire, which is not "select enough" to have its own BT exchange as does a number of neighbouring up market smaller villages.  All of our lines are 50+dB attenuated which means sub 5Mbps synch speed.
Mobile signals are pee poor too.  With O2 you can only get a signal up stairs.  With EE you can loose the signal walking from the front door to end of the drive - about 12 yards.
I've had better mobile coverage in the Romania mountains!  Until in general the attitude of service providers in this country changes from "it will do" to "let's make this the best it can be" we will continue to be blessed by poor service.  This extends all the way from the provision of telecommunications to pub / restaurant service and yes I've done both.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

handckins

Chris from Gloucs
We had been waiting for Openreach to connect our landlne for twelve weeks before finally getting it. Can I claim compensation from them?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It depends on what the reason/cause of the delay was.
From what I can see, just from a brief look, after the initial installation, a fault was found on the line which delayed the completion of the work. Any claims for compensation/refunds/claims all come through your ISP which is ourselves.
If this is something you'd like for us to look at, you can raise a ticket at http://contactus.plus.net
andyhunt100

question 87775026
team will repy soon?
5 days and counting?
what do they call soon?
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi andyhunt100,
I've passed this to our Faults team to have a look into and get back with an update later this evening. Sorry for the delay and any inconvenience caused.
andyhunt100

hi
as this problem has now exceeded 3 weeks I will need to claim to recover my losses, as my claim must go to plusnet, could you tell me the procedure
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

once the fault is cleared Plusnet normally refund the proportion of the rental etc. for the period in question
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi andyhunt100,
Sorry to hear this is still ongoing. I've checked the fault ticket and it seems this fault is more complex than we anticipated. The next step is that dig work is required and the planning forms have been submitted to your council and we now have to wait for further information from BT Openreach.
As Oldjim has stated - you'll be fully reimbursed once the fault has been resolved so that we can calculate exactly how many days you were left without services.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Our Faults team will continue to provide updates on Ticket: 87775026.
andyhunt100

hi
I am told my faults have now been fixed, and my phone is now fine but my broadband speed has gone through the floor, is this normal and will it re-sync and increase or is there still a fault?
the test result are below,
is my ip profile correct, I used to get 5 to 6 mbps now next to nothing
Home Image not loadedTesting Image not loadedResult Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
0.15 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.5 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.15 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7.62 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Your IP Profile is way too low for your sync rate.  If you are on an older telephone exchange (20CN) you may have to wait few days for it to catch-up.