cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new number on sign up

budgetman

new number on sign up

I am in the process of moving from talk talk and have been told I will need a new number, my number had only just changed due to a talk talk mix up, one of many, on talking to plusnet adviser I was told I might possibly get back my old number, in the order tracker it shows my number is going to be my old number ending 014 but email says new number ending 172
wanted to get some cards printed but is there any way to check or do I need to phone myself on the day to find out what my number is
15 REPLIES 15
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: new number on sign up

The best advise I can give would be to hold off on getting cards printed for the meantime dial 17070 once the order completes, just to be on the safe side, as this should read your number back to you. Although it looks like it's progressing fine and due for completion on 09/11/15, I don't see any reason for the order to fail at this stage, but having said this I wouldn't want to see the order fail and then have to change to yet another number after you've got cards printed
Your account currently shows the 014 number as this is what the account was signed up with, however it does look like the number on the order is the 172 number. This should update on your account after the order completes.
It's also right that there could be a possibility of getting the 014 number back at a later date, but there would be no guarantee this would be possible and as it doesn't look like it was possible during the initial order process it may cause you to incur a renumbering charge.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

This does appear to happen a lot with Talk-Talk (recent example here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,144958.0.html) despite Ofcom saying:
So if you’re staying at the same address and your number is active, your current provider must allow it to be transferred to a new phone company.

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/switching_provider
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

While I tend to agree with that, the OP did state: my number had only just changed due to a talk talk mix up
So admittedly I'm not 100% sure what number is currently active on the line with the losing provider.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
budgetman

the current number with talk talk ends 371 my number that talk talk "lost" ends 014 and the number I may end up with ends 172, when I signed up they said they would try and get my original 014 number back as it was on bt list as not ceased

unable to find out for definite
suppose I will just have to wait
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

In that case my post is not relevant, it would only apply if you weren't able to 'keep' the current '371' number (had you wanted to, that is).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just to clarify, the 014 number is a BT range holder, which is why there is a possibility of getting the number back at a later date, however from what I can find, it's not currently in service and I believe it is ceased.
When a number is ceased, it gets returned to the range holder, however this usually takes about 2 weeks before it can be used again and at this point it sometimes also requires further intervention to get the number made spare for use (But even then, we would still have to first wait for the 2 weeks while it is returned to the range holder)
Could you confirm when Talktalk actually lost the 014 number please.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
budgetman

sometime around april, they said they made a mistake and ceased my line instead of ceasing the broadband to carry out a cabinet move
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

In that case I'm at a little bit of a loss as to why it wasn't on the order on the signup with us.
I'm going to assume that automation had orders in place before provisioning could intervene with a manual order with the number and to avoid delays in the switch, this was left in place (As we'd need to cancel the orders and start again to chose the number)
I'll take a personal ticket on your account and try to get your old number back after the orders complete, if you don't mind waiting another couple of days before getting cards printed.
When the order completes, the number on your line should be the 172 number, but once I've seen the orders have completed I'll get a renumber order in place and let you know how long it should be until the 014 number will be back on the line (Providing it's possible) Smiley
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
budgetman

Many thanks that would be great, my main reason for leaving talk talk was when something goes wrong, their support is the worst I have ever encountered and my day job is sorting my customers internet / broadband problems so have dealt with a lot, my main reason for deciding on plusnet was all the dealings I have had with my customers broadband issue connected with plus net have always been a refreshing change from the rest of the providers
the fact that the forums are actively followed and replied to by plus net staff looks like I made the correct decision
colin
budgetman

my phone has now been connected on the 172 number so if you could see if it is possible to change back to my 014 that would be great, bit of a problem with my broadband, the engineer turned up but didnt have my promised router so didnt connect me and said there is some problem getting bt routers ?Huh
budgetman

i am hanging on the plusnet chat, now 30 mins and still 14 in front of me will message when they get back to me
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm really sorry that your router hasn't arrived. This isn't actually something the engineer would be bringing, unless you were referring to the Openreach modem, which they should have provided.
Can you confirm if the engineer left a modem at all?
I'm just going through the renumber side of things now and I'll update the ticket on your account shortly.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
budgetman

no he didnt have a modem to leave, just finished on chat after 1.5hours and they sending out a router weds or thurs
budgetman

many thanks for sorting my number and switching it back to the original 716014, I now regret binning all my old biz cards after talk talk lost my number back in april / may and said it was technically impossible to get it back, oh well back to the printers, once again many thanks
colin
should have my new router weds or thurs