cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new customer no incoming calls and atrocious wifi

monty110884
Hooked

new customer no incoming calls and atrocious wifi

starting to regret switching to this company.

Our switch date was 27/01/21 from talktalk.

Had no wifi until teatime that day. waited for the activation email & Plugged in the new plusnet router, Nothing!

Had to contact plusnet and enter my username and password details manually into the router.

We then discover that we cannot receive incoming calls. and get a error saying that "this number is not receiving incoming calls"

The wifi has also been rubbish. kicking devices off intermittently.

Contacted plusnet again who said that the phone line would be resolved within 72 hours.

thats passed. still no incoming calls and rubbish wifi. I explained its probably a porting issue but now an engineer has been booked with a possible £65 charge to myself!

Everything worked perfect with TalkTalk before the switch! not a happy customer!

19 REPLIES 19
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: new customer no incoming calls and atrocious wifi

Welcome to the Forum @monty110884 

If I'm reading your post correctly, you do now have an internet connection but not a working phone. I can't help with the phone but a couple of thoughts on the wifi.

Which router are you using? A Plusnet Hub One with a big blue light on the front? If it is that, it offers connections on 2 frequencies. By default they have the same ID and the advice is to give them different IDs, See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...for how to do it.

This may not cure your wifi problem but it is a simple first step.

There is more wifi help at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

Please let us know how you get on with both phone and wifi.

monty110884
Hooked

no neither have worked. incoming calls or decent wifi.

yeah hub one i think it is. only way i can get it to run stable at the moment is by turning off the 5ghz.

and i still have a hidden ssid running directly over my channel. its as if its coming from the router.

tech support have advised its probably due to the phone line issue lol.......... there is no hope. cant wait to get out of or leave this contract and go back to a more reputable company tbh

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

I expect that you have seen that there is a section on 5ghz problems on the Router section of the Forum.

Again I expect you know this, but one can change the channel on both frequencies; would that help with your problems?.

I share your surprise at the suggestion from Technical Support that not having a working phone - but having a working internet connection - causes your wifi problem.  But stay with getting the phone problem cleared.

monty110884
Hooked

this was handy as it seemed to be the crapple devices we were having issues with. it stabilised on 2.4ghz but now i know this we will give it a try. thanks

monty110884
Hooked

created a separate network for the 2.4 & 5ghz. connected all devices to the new 5ghz. worked fine for all of 5 mins before kicking every device off. will be leaving this company at the 1st opportunity!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Are all your devices 5 GHz capable ? If they aren't, they won't work on that band - period.

John
monty110884
Hooked

yes. the devices that seem to be causing issues are iphone xr. iphone 11 & iphone 12. ive had to put them back on 2.4ghz. [-Censored-] poor service that does nobody proud.

jab1
Legend

OK - you did say 'connected all devices to 5GHz'. I don't know those phones, but I assume they are 5GHz compatible?

John
monty110884
Hooked

i never had to faff with any wireless settings with the old talktalk router.

how do plusnet expect non tech savy people to fix this!

jab1
Legend

Possibly because the TT router was single band? And you are being offered help by fellow Community members - I notice @BrightonRock has replied a few times, but they are not always around.

John
monty110884
Hooked

it was a sagecom 5364 dual band router. never had a single issue.

appreciate the help but the plusnet router is pure garbage. period

coupled with a faulty landline and the thought of being charged £65 im rather frustrated

jab1
Legend

Don't know that modem/router, so I'll take your word for it being dual-band. The £65 charge will only applyif the fault is equipment/wiring your side of the master socket.

I'll go away and read the full post - might spot something.

John
jab1
Legend

@monty110884 Having re-read the full topic, I suggest you get the phone fault fixed - any idea when it is scheduled?

Unfortunately, as they lock their gear to the TT network, I can't suggest using your old router - BUT - I could suggest getting a BT HH6 of such as eBay, they work on the PN network, and are much better specified than the Hub1. Set-up details for them are given clearly on the 'My Router' board.

John
monty110884
Hooked

@jab1 thanks for the info.

I don't see why the customer should have to purchase additional equipment for it to work with modern devices correctly.

all i know is as soon as i can get out of this contract I will be. 

only after iv'e read their trust pilot reviews and they are horrendous.