As soon as I connected the router (saw the email that BB was connected when I got up), we had fast, solid broadband. Did a speed test: 30mbits down, 10mbits up - perfect.
The Openreach engineer arrived around 11am to connect our landline (not connected for a year, since we took the VM service). He replaced the main socket, did some tests and told us there was a problem with the line*. He went away, returned with a colleague and did some work outside, then told us that it needed more work and should be fixed tomorrow (i.e. today).
I received an email saying "Unfortunately, there's been a delay to the order for your telephone service. We'll contact you again once we have more details about this."
We've heard nothing since, and I haven't been able to contact anyone in support.
*As well as having no landline, since the engineer visit, our initially excellent BB speed has been reduced to a limping 4mbit/2mbit.
Come on folks, we moved to this company because we expected better treatment.