cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my old mum is with BT at £26.50 a month for phone only

timmytoad
Grafter

my old mum is with BT at £26.50 a month for phone only

hi all, i have only just realised that my Old Mum (90 next birthday) pays BT  £26.50 every month for her Anytime calls contract, she doesn't have or want the Internet, included in this £26.50 are several calls to my Mobile and occasionally one other mobile, it also looks as if she pays for her 1471 calls as well.
How much a month would a similar contract with Plus Net cost her please.
Tim
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: my old mum is with BT at £26.50 a month for phone only

Hi Tim,
I'm afraid that we don't sell a phone only package.  She'd need to take broadband with us too.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Looking at the BT costs for phone she must make an awful lot of calls to a mobile number in which case the BT Unlimited Anytime Plan Plus may work out cheaper.
However if she doesn't make many calls you will need to check just what she is being charged for as this is way over the current BT rates
timmytoad
Grafter

Cheers Oldjim thanks for that, she doesnt make that many calls at all, it does seems well over the top i agree, shame i cant get her with Plus Net.
My old Mum lives in a Warden Controlled Flat complex and she doesn't do ANY wheeling and dealing like selling cars or ordering Plonk etc. and she is pretty bad with the memory as well, so i shall be getting in touch with BT for sure, thanks.
Tim
jim:quote
timmytoad
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Tim,
I'm afraid that we don't sell a phone only package.  She'd need to take broadband with us too.

Thanks James, Phone Only not available at Plus Net !!, O dear, fair enough,
tim
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just a thought - does she have the phone through the warden/flat company and they are sticking a whopping markup on it
timmytoad
Grafter

A good thought that Oldjim, but NO, everyone is seperate for Phone, and also electric, and they dont have any gas available, but the Central Heating is free  Smiley
Tim
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

timmytoad,;your mother is in exactly the same situation as mine!! When I visited recently I looked at her BT bill because she was moaning about the costs - I found that she was using 1471-3 and 1571-3 to call back missed callers a lot of times ...and at ~ 38p an occasion it soon added up to over £10 !  I've told her to write down the number from the messages in future so that she dials and gets the benefit of Anytime calls.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

We have a similar situation with my 93yo father-in-law who has very limited mobility and memory.
We've just told him not to bother ringing anyone back or even to try to check the messages on his answering machine - we do that on a weekly visit (he's not close by).
If anyone really wants to talk to him they'll ring again and he now accepts that.
timmytoad
Grafter

Ah it seems i am not the only one whose elderly parents are being ripped off by Big Brother !!!!!
tim
Javert
Grafter

Have a look at TT who do phone only - Evenings/Weekend Calls for around £3.50 pm - or “Anytime” UK calls for around £6.20.  Plus line rental.
I got my 90-year-old neighbour on the “Anytime” deal as she was paying BT an enormous amount quarterly (around £150!).  She just calls & chats to her friends not realising how long she’s on the phone - or the costs!  
timmytoad
Grafter

Javert :- cheers for that yeah Talk Talk looks good, £6.20 a month with cheaper rental when paid 12 months in advance,  Kool, I LIKE IT, a lot  Wink
tim
Javert
Grafter

You're welcome!  Smiley
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: davidj60
timmytoad,;your mother is in exactly the same situation as mine!! When I visited recently I looked at her BT bill because she was moaning about the costs - I found that she was using 1471-3 and 1571-3 to call back missed callers a lot of times ...and at ~ 38p an occasion it soon added up to over £10 !  I've told her to write down the number from the messages in future so that she dials and gets the benefit of Anytime calls.

Yes, it soon mounts up.
I've had a similar problem with an elderly friend clocking up excessive charges by not realising the cost of directory enquiry and speaking clock calls.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
atbs1
Grafter

@ jamesh
Well, I have 2 contracts: 1 is for broadband and phone and the other is just phone!!