cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving home

paulg123
Grafter

moving home

hello all so i have phone and broadband with plusnet and im moving to a new home in couple of weeks and just had a look at it today, one problem though is that the bt socket has the covering plate missing so its just got the back part on the wall and the exposed wires sticking out without the cover on.
my main questions are:
1.what do i need to do from here to make that socket physically working and able to plug a telephone cable in? is it just a case of purchasing a bt face plate and connecting each appropriate coloured wire to the right connections on the face plate?(think its just the 2 and 5 ports that need to be connected?)
2.how do i find out the telephone number of that socket? will plusnet provide a new number otherwise?
3.is there a charge from plusnet for moving my existing services to a new address? im on adsl2 currently and this is also available at the new address
4. how do i get the ball rolling with all this so that everything is set up as soon as possible?
thanks in advance for reply
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: moving home

Hi there, hope I can answer these for you.
1) When you place an order with us to move the broadband and phone to new premises, we'll sort out the phone line - mention the lack of master socket plate to the agent you talk to and they'll make sure this is sorted out when it's all installed. It's best not to work on those yourself as officially anything inside the master socket is BTs property, but if you're confident and have a faceplate that'll work you could get away with it (we'll never officially recommend that it's done though).
2) A number will be assigned when the line is activated/installed. If you plug a phone in and dial 17070 and a number is read back to you the line will already be active, in which case we should be able to take it over for you.
3) There will be, yes - total cost will depend if the phone line needs installing or just activating though. Again the agent you talk to should be able to advise you of this. You can defer a house move for 12 months in the same way as a router if you wish (or pay up front) but if a new line needs installing the £49.99 fee for that will have to be paid - I'm afraid we can't defer that for you.
4) Just call our support team and choose the moving house option, the agent who takes your call will be able to get it all sorted for you and get things started.
Hope that helps explain, and thanks for sticking with us Smiley
paulg123
Grafter

Thanks for your reply, service has been great so no reason for me to want to move  Smiley
So if I got a new plate and fitted that at my own risk and I got a dial tone, what charges would there be if any for the move?
And another scenario to run by you is that fibre is also available at the new property, do existing customers still get the £49.99 activation fee waived if they have phone service with you as I have? And if so say for example I got adsl2 set up there first could I get fibre a month or two down the line and still get the activation fee waived?
And lastly does potentially choosing fibre instead from the off change the way I go about setting up the move?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Dial tone should mean that the line only needs reactivating rather than installing, which would be free rather than £49.99 - the £49.99 fee for a new line install is the only part of the house move fee that can't be waived.
If you went for fibre and a phone line together at the new place then yes the fibre install fee should be waived, but you'd need to discuss that with the agent you talked to. You could go with ADSL2 and phone to start with, but if you did that you'd then have to order the fibre at a later date - it's only when you order fibre with phone that the install fee is waived.
If you ordered fibre I daresay the install would take longer as it'd mean booking an engineer visit, but that would be the only change.
paulg123
Grafter

OK thanks for the reply matt, I think I might go with fibre as I'm only getting an estimated 5mb on the post code speed check and currently enjoying 15mb where I am now and fibre estimate is 48mb dl and 11mb up , as you mention fibre can take longer but hopefully we be getting the keys next week so could do the order then and fingers crossed it will be finished as or not long after we move in Smiley
One last thing was if we didn't like where we live in a years time and move and the next address after that didn't have fibre? Because we would still have the 6 months left on the fibre contract how would that work payment wise say if we had to go back onto adsl2 with plus net somewhere else?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think the answer to that is in the House Move Guide Section 3. Will moving to or from a fibre optic broadband area affect me?. Basically you'll move back to ADSL but the contract will still apply.
David
paulg123
Grafter

Thanks spraxyt , another question is that if I went for fibre could I get the router sent to my current address in case it gets sent straight out to the new place before I've moved in?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That wouldn't be a problem, just let us know where you'd like it sending to and we'll arrange it for you Smiley