Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

landline port issue - cannot receive calls from any sky customers

FIXED
wilfy33
Hooked

landline port issue - cannot receive calls from any sky customers

Bit of a long story, but the background may help...

I switched broadband + landline from BT to SKY at the beginning of July. Only to find that I'd been given a solution that the landline would only work if the phone was plugged into the back of the broadband router. This was not acceptable,as the mobile reception where i live is bad, and if we ever lose power, we won't have any phone line, plus i have old style phones that plug into wall sockets in 4 rooms. Contacting sky, they tell me i can't have what i want, and that the only solution was the one i've been given. (Subsequently i received a call from what i assume was the leaving team of SKY, to be told that i could've had the solution i wanted!, but this was wayyyyy too late)

As this solution was unacceptable to me, i initiated a switch again, this time to Plusnet. What should've taken a few days took nearly 3 weeks as openreach + bt wholesale hadn't bothered to close off the tickets from the switch from BT to sky, and this took days to get resolved.

3rd week of july  and i'm switched over... All good, or so i thought.

About a week after porting, my daughter rings from her mobile to say that why is our landline always engaged when she tries from her landline, but is fine from her mobile (giffgaff)

I didn't think much too it, until the end of august when i switched my mobile from Three to sky. (As i've previously said, where i live, mobile reception is very poor, but taking a shufti at any friends who came round, pointed at a O2 based package had the best reception).

When i was out and about a week later, i tried to phone my home number, and it gets cut off straight away. Hmmmm not good. I started digging... now turns out my daughter. sister  and a niece, all sky landline customers cannot get thru to my landline, it comes up as engaged all the time. So , i now have 4 different people all sky customers from different parts of the country who cannot make calls to my landline. (so far, all calls from other vendors works fine.)

I report this to the customer service, who runs tests on the line, and unsurprisingly find no faults. I then go away for a few days, and when i come back i do my own googling, to find similar-ish instances, and it does look like a porting issue.

I contact customer support again with my finding....

"It's a SKY issue, we cannot do anything"

I contact SKY, as i'm a sky mobile customer AND an ex customer. ..."As your landline contract is with plusnet, we cannot do anything"

There is a similar-ish instance to what i'm seeing ... https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Cannot-call-a-specific-landline-number-from-mobile/td-p/1587104...

Anyone have an idea on what this could actually be?

13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: landline port issue - cannot receive calls from any sky customers

@wilfy33  Welcome to the forum.

If my memory serves me right I read a while ago that when you switch your phone line from BT to Sky the cable is removed from the BT cabinet and moved to the Sky one. However when you switch back to BT the cable is left connected to the Sky equipment but jumpered back in some way to the BT cabinet.

If this is correct it could quite possibly be Sky who is to blame. It could be that both parties need to liaise to sort out. Good luck!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey wilfy33,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

It sounds really strange and to be honest I've not actually across anything like this. I've consulted with a few of our tech guys this side and we've agreed you'll need to go ahead with these troubleshooting steps first. More than likely we'll need to go down the engineer route but I want to get the troubleshooting steps done to see if that helps alleviate the issue.

Thanks.

wilfy33
Hooked

Yup, tried all of these.  all still with the same result.

Also tried with removing the front plate from the master socket and plugging my corded phone into that. Exactly the same result.

I'm assuming the comment baldrick1 made about jumpers from sky to bt cabinet, that

a) that this is something physical, rather than a s/w config issue.

b) plusnet is deemed as a BT line at this level

Thx

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for confirming you've tried those steps @wilfy33

Can you raise a fault here and we'll progress from there.

Ta.

wilfy33
Hooked

Mads/Baldrick1

thanks... duly reported.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @wilfy33

I can see you've been in touch with our technical team this afternoon and our faults team are currently investigating things further. They should be in touch as soon as we have more details.

wilfy33
Hooked

update:- openreach engineer called my my house today to test the line etc. No fault found.

He did say physical port switch is done at the cabinet now not the exchange, and the switch between supplier(s) is done via configuration.

His opinion, is that the port from sky to plusnet has not been closed off properly at BT wholesale.

Will update when i have more.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

No worries @wilfy33, thanks for the update there.

I can see you have updated us by ticket. Our Faults Team will monitor for the update and will liaise with our suppliers to see whether there is anything that can be done about this.

If you have any further queries, please let us know.

Thanks - Tahir

wilfy33
Hooked

Siggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Update from customer support.... "line passes testing" so it's resolved -

what a load of  CODSWALLOP!! still got the exact same issue.

This is the 4th different support person who has added notes, and i believe, once someone has picked up a ticket, they are not even bothering to read the notes for the whole case, but just the last action. In this case they see the notes from the engineer that the line passes the physical tests and assume it's all fine, not bothering about the bit to say contact BT Wholesale.

I've updated the ticket, but why cannot someone further up the technical support chain, take ownership of this?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Fix

Hi @wilfy33, thanks for your message.

The Social Media Team will take ownership of this issue until resolution.

I've just sent an escalation over to BT's Migration Services Team and expect an update within the next 48 hours at which point we'll be in touch directly.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance in the meantime.

wilfy33
Hooked

Thank you
wilfy33
Hooked

Took about 6 weeks from my initial contact with customer support , but it's now all resolved.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear it @wilfy33.

Give us a nudge if you need any further assistance.

Thanks.