Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

landline and broadband confusion

data476

landline and broadband confusion

Hi there.
I am a little confused right now.
I have recently signed up for PLUSNET in the last few days and the order is currently being processed right now. I assume I'll get my broadband activated by the end of next week.
However, I am a little confused at the moment. I understand that you have to have a landline in order to get the broadband service. I don't really need a home phone as I do use a mobile phone for pretty much everything, along with everyone else in my household. I don't even have a HOME PHONE.
What I am asking is this: Do I need to have a home phone to access broadband or do I just have the landline and pay for that anyway so that I will get broadband regardless.
Thank You for all help.
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: landline and broadband confusion

You need a BT telephone line with a working phone number to get broadband. If you have the line but no phone number then you will have to apply for a phone number before broadband can be activated as the broadband is linked to your phone number. There will be a set-up / installation cost for the phone number.
data476

Quote from: Peter
You need a BT telephone line with a working phone number to get broadband. If you have the line but no phone number then you will have to apply for a phone number before broadband can be activated as the broadband is linked to your phone number. There will be a set-up / installation cost for the phone number.

When I signed up I was told I would pay £11.25 line rental (Is that BT landline or something else?). I did have a phone-number before but got rid of the BT landline last year because I didn't use it.
Is this right?
data476

Basically I do have/or rather I had a phone number by BT but this was deactivated last year because I didn't want to pay for the service.
The only reason I have considered this now is because I just want broadband and quite frankly if I have to pay for landline for the sake of this then I surpose this is what I'll have to do then.
DO I just get my old number back from before as well? Does this mean that I won't have to pay a fee?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Something is not right here... You must have specified a phone number on which you want broadband when you signed up. If you used the old number then you need to ring PlusNet support and explain that you don't actually have a BT phone number.
Phone numbers are often reallocated by BT when cancelled so someone else may now have it and it is they who could have broadband enabled, not you.
You need a working BT phone number to get broadband. If you don't have one it will cost you to have a new number allocated which PN can arrange for you.
data476

lol - You must think I'm pretty dumb.
I can't remember what I specified now...
Is a BT line seperate from Line Rental then and I have to pay two seperate charges? Or do I just pay a one-off fee for a new landline number from BT and pay the line rental alone?
dick:quote
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You pay line rental for the BT phone line and associated phone number. When you cancelled your phone number, BT disconnected your phone line from the exchange so you don't have a working phone line or phone number and you need both for broadband.
I think you need to phone support and explain you don't have a phone number but have applied for broadband and they can then either ask more questions or explain what needs to be done to get broadband and the costs involved.
You are going to have to pay for a new BT phone number and have your line re-connected and you will then have to pay line rental for it plus the cost of the broadband service from PlusNet. Getting a new number from BT could be around £140 but may be a bit less if PlusNet can do it. Line rental will be around £10/month, the broadband costs you should already know.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there data476,
You signed up for Home Phone with us, which covers off the needing a phone line part. We'll be connecting a new line for you on Thursday.
Once that's done we can sort the broadband order for you.

It's not currently possible to have broadband without paying for line rental, as there's no such thing as wires-only DSL in this country at the moment.
You don't actually have to connect a phone to the line, or use it at all though, though you are stuck with paying line rental for as long as you want broadband.