cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keeping our home phone number

topbanana1985
Dabbler

keeping our home phone number

We have just moved house and want to keep our landline home phone number.

Our previous supplier, SKY, has said that they cannot let us keep our phone number/they cannot move it from our old house to our new house.

SKY then mistakenly cut off our services at the old house (despite us asking them not to until we inform them to) and have not yet installed new services in our new house (apparently it takes over 3 weeks to provide services, but a mere 3 minutes to take them away)

I was wondering if PlusNet would be able to let us keep our old phone number?

26 REPLIES 26
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: keeping our home phone number

Hi there and welcome to the community forums.

I was wondering if PlusNet would be able to let us keep our old phone number?

If your telephone number is on the BT network and your new address is provided by the same exchange as your old address, it should be possible. Mind PMing me your number and addresses so I can check?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
topbanana1985
Dabbler

Thank you for the reply, I shall PM you now.

I would have thought it was the same exchange as we have only moved about 10 mins away from our old address.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for your details via PM.

Whilst the addresses are relatively close on a Google Map search, your new address is served by a different exchange. The exchange for the old address is at a town starting with B, and the new one starts with W. 

If you like to know more precisely, just input your addresses here: www.dslchecker.bt.com

So we won't be able to keep your home telephone number at your new address I'm afraid. Sad

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
topbanana1985
Dabbler

Sad darn.

Don't suppose you know of any phone companies who would be able to do it?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It’s unlikely that any provider using the Openreach network will be able to. Sad

But you could look at VOIP providers or Virgin Media?
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
topbanana1985
Dabbler

Thanks for the info.

Here's a question for you, would PlusNet be able to give us a phone line with  our old number, at our old house?

We currently still own our old house/have not sold it yet, so if we got PlusNet to connect a phone line at our old house, would it be able to be connected with our old phone number?

Then, once PlusNet have our phone number on their system via our old house, could it be transferred to our new house?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No.

You might be able to get Plusnet to get your old number back, and set that up at your OLD house,

then you go to a VoIP provider and ask them to port that number to their VoIP service.

Porting the phone number away to a VoIP provider will cease your old landline again.

Then at your new house, you will have whatever new phone number for your broadband and calls.

Then you get a VoIP enabled telephone handset to make and receive phone calls using your OLD number via your VoIP provider.

If you get the right type of phone, you could choose to use either or both the new and old phone numbers.

I can highly recommend the Siemens Gigaset N300A-IP phone system for doing exactly this setup.

The advantage of transferring your number to VoIP, is that you can take it with you wherever you move to.

topbanana1985
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to find out if PlusNet can or can't get our old number back at our old house?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Is there a way to find out if PlusNet can or can't get our old number back at our old house?

Yeah it looks like the line is just stopped so we should be able to get it back up and running within 1 working day.

If you're wanting to go ahead, we'll need an account creating at www.plus.net which will entail both phone and broadband.

If your plan is just to grab your number back, transfer it to a VOIP provider, then close the account it's worth noting the following:

Whilst we won't be able to refund any activation fees or costs paid to us, we will absolutely provide a refund of any over-payments for example if your number is transferred away part way through a billing month.

To avoid early termination fees, I'd advise to signup on a non-contract basis. However, there'd still be a £30 cessation fee for removing broadband from the line, assuming the broadband service won't be transferred to a new provider.

One last thing, whilst it's a good chance we'll be able to reserve your number, I can't provide a 100% guarantee, but please feel free to let me know if you do decide to go ahead and I'll be happy to personally keep an eye on things.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
topbanana1985
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.

If we were to set up PlusNet at the old house, it would be good to have PlusNet at the new house (transfer from old house to new house). If PlusNet are unable to transfer our number/keep our phone number from 1 address to the other, so is it possible to transfer just the broadband, form our old house to the new one?

Also, is it possible for PlusNet to transfer the number back from a VOIP?

eg: Get PlusNet set up at the old house, to get our number back, transfer the number to a VOIP and register it at our new house, then come back to PlusNet with the number?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If we were to set up PlusNet at the old house, it would be good to have PlusNet at the new house (transfer from old house to new house). If PlusNet are unable to transfer our number/keep our phone number from 1 address to the other, so is it possible to transfer just the broadband, form our old house to the new one?

Yeah, but we'll need to provide broadband on a new telephone number at your new address.

So basically you'd have two telephone numbers - one via VOIP (if that is successful) and one from us.

Also, is it possible for PlusNet to transfer the number back from a VOIP?

eg: Get PlusNet set up at the old house, to get our number back, transfer the number to a VOIP and register it at our new house, then come back to PlusNet with the number?

I'm not 100% sure but I'll get back to you on Monday when one of my colleagues with a bit more knowledge on the provisioning side of things is in the office.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
topbanana1985
Dabbler

Thank you kindly for your help and info, I shall await to hear from you Monday.

Have a good evening.

topbanana1985
Dabbler

Sorry, 1 more question.

Does it have to be a VOIP that we transfer to at the old house or can we do it with another provider?

Eg: could we set up with PlusNet at the old house, to get our number, then transfer it to another provider, eg: BT, SKY, Virgin, at the old house, then transfer from which ever of those providers we chose, back to PlusNet, at the new house, whilst keeping the same number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you are missing the point !

Each physical telephone exchange has an area code and a unique range of numbers allocated to it.

Your OLD address is connected to a particular exchange that has an allocated set of allowable numbers.

Your NEW address is connected to a different exchange that has a different set of allowable numbers.

You can't take a number allocated to a particular exchange and simply transfer it to another.

However, if you PORT your OLD phone number to a VoIP supplier, THEY are not related to any physical telephone exchange, because with VoIP you are making voice calls over the internet, and the phone number is just a routing identifier - much like an email address.

Telephone lines connected to telephone exchanges, have numbers which relate to geographic areas.

VoIP calling is just another internet service and is not location specific.

Therefore is is extremely unlikely that you will find ANY way of moving your OLD number to a NEW exchange, because the OLD number is not going to be in the NEW exchange's area code, or allowable number range.