cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

itemised bill, phone charges £51 and ive never had a handset plugged, only use for broadband

chris300
Grafter

itemised bill, phone charges £51 and ive never had a handset plugged, only use for broadband

To who it may concern

As the title implies i have been a customer for over 2 years have the same direct debit taken out every month

today i find a bill for £51 call charges making my bill £76 for this month twice the amount i pay monthly

looking further i realise that this is for last months calls, and if i look at the itemised bill for this month

it looks like im going to be charged agian next month as the bill is showing the same assortment of numbers as

last month.

i spoke to 2 customer service people this morning and was told that to rule out a cross line i needed to plug a handset into my socket and dial 17070 to see what number is returned to me, alas i dont have a handset so im currently in a situation of waiting for a kind soul to help me in my predicament, goodluck on friday with bank holiday weekend here,m anyway..

this is my dilema if the number returned is my number, reading from other peoples situation (e.g. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Account-Billing/Mystery-calls-to-local-numbers-and-123-numbers-but-... )

then im probably looking forward to sadness and disappointment

anyway heres a list for my itemised bill happy to show it as none of these numbers are in anyway related to me

definetly a cross line or god knows anyway the number that supposed to be mine isnt as ive just rang it and someone else picked it up

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Personal information removed from a public forum.

14 REPLIES 14
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: itemised bill, phone charges £51 and ive never had a handset plugged, only use for broadband

Just a thought, do you have a Sky box connected to the phone line? Only asking as there have been issues with these running up bills in the past, particularly calling the speaking clock (123) if my memory serves me right.

chris300
Grafter

Re: itemised bill, phone charges £51 and ive never had a handset plugged, only use for broadband

thanks for replying mikelahey, no i dont have a sky box, just a computer which is on for an hour at best a day

chris300
Grafter

i did the 17070 test with a handset and got back the same number, as in the same number i rang today and someone else picked up thats the phone number that supposed to be mine, ive got an engineer who said he would call me back later, so fingers crossed i can get this resolved

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Just to clarify - I was a little confused reading the last few lines of your OP.

Are you saying that 17070 does not return your number? And if you dial what you know to be your real number then someone else answers?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
chris300
Grafter

the number i get back from 17070 is supposed to be my number

when i tried to call that number this afternoon, no one answered but it rang, then i got a phone call back from that number which is supposed to be mine with somebody getting confused and ending the call with i think you got the wrong number

sorry its confusing, its confusing me

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Thanks for clarification. It does seem then a clear case of a crossed line.

Very similar to this case - https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/New-Plusnet-customer-being-charged-for-calls-I-didn-t-make/...

That one was complicated by the fact that the cross had been sorted before, or at least around the time, that the billing problem was reported.

It also highlighted a couple of things to bear in mind if your line is used solely for broadband. If you have a handset plugged in, you'll notice if you start getting calls for a different number, indicating a crossed line. It would also be a good idea to request a lowering of your credit limit from the standard £55 - not sure offhand what the lower limit is.

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Sorry to hear of the situation you've ended up in @chris300

Let us know how the engineer appointment goes, hopefully they get this resolved and report back to us that the crossed line is resolved and we should be able to sort out the call charges at that point.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
chris300
Grafter

Thankyou for the replies

i had the call limit reduced to zero, if said person uses the phone it should direct them to Plusnet services, as far as i know

the openreach engineer is due on wednesday

Thanks again

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Thanks for info about zero limit.

Good luck tomorrow.  Smiley

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
chris300
Grafter

Thankyou to the kind people who replied

i had the engineer come this morning, never actually visited the premises, it was only after ringing Plusnet to complain that no engineer had arrived at the property,  there was a note on the computer to tell me the fault had been found at the exchange so a property visit wasnt necessary, would have liked to know more but Plusnet customer service didnt know.

thankyou all again

Regards

Chris

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'm happy to hear that Chris. I can also see we've refunded the call charges you've incurred too.

I'd expect you to receive the funds back in your bank within 14 days.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chris300
Grafter

I got conformation it was a crossed line

*INTERNAL*
Main Fault Location: CE (Fault located between DP and customer apparatus (no appointment required))
Fault Code: XL (Crossed lines)
Clear Code: 151.3
Clear Message: Customer Premises 

Thanks for replying about the charges, was a relief to get it sorted

Regards Chris

chris300
Grafter

@198kHz Thankyou for the sources of information you gave me, it was much appreciated

Regards Chris

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@chris300   You're very welcome.

Sometimes this kind of problem can drag on a long time. Glad to hear it was sorted relatively quickly.  Smiley

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)