how do i block international call to landlines and mobiles
18 REPLIES 18
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: international call blocking

Dick:green Superfluous poll removed.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Don't think you can on homephones anyway. They just show as international no numbers.
I use a call blocker which "silently" drops all them and any "withheld caller" types, on my HP.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I assume the OP is referring to outgoing calls rather than incoming ones. I think blocking Premium Rate and International calls can be done on request but not mobile. Setting this up can't be done via the home phone control panel, it is a manual process initiated by raising a ticket (and persisting if the agent responding replies that it can't be done - he/she might not be aware of it).
The following quote provides more information.
Quote from: Ben
Hi Wendy - we do look at the board, but we do have other pulls on our time and often can't get around to answering every customer as quickly as we would like; especially when the answer to the question isn't something that's common knowledge. We provide our telephone services through BT Openreach. As such, we can only offer the products and features that BT Openreach do.
The call barring options available to us are:
-Bar all calls
-Bar all calls except operator and 999
-Bar premium rate
-Bar premium rate & international
The debt management options (which provide similar functionality) are:
-Bar all calls
-Route to call centre
-Temporary out of service (this bars all calls - incoming and outgoing)
As you can see, there is no option to bar mobile calls only.
Hope this helps.
David
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Siemens Gigaset phone wireless basestation allows the configuration of different 'dialing plan' rules depending on an outgoing call's number prefix.
Therefore it would be possible to block outgoing mobile calls by creating a rule for numbers starting with "07", or similarly international codes using "00"
I use this feature for blocking premium rate numbers which start with "09".
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: purleigh
I use this feature for blocking premium rate numbers which start with "09".

I do something similar with contract mobiles that I gave to my kids through the MacAfee all access software, but rather like your phone its not cheap and not suitable for everyone,
@op
you could ask PlusNet to cap your call allowance down to £5 to limit your ability to run up a bill (I say £5 because it means you can still make a few out of plan calls) of course your free to topup online and thus increase the amount your able ot spend but I think theres a time delay of up to 24 hours in a pre payment getting registered..... it wont block the mobile calls it but it stops you paying more than you like at the end of the month
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

except there is a charge of £5.76 for re-enabling the line after it is blocked because you have run out of money http://www.plus.net/support/phone/credit-limit-and-top-ups-guide.shtml#useAllCredit
nanotm
Pro

that's a good point there jim,
I guess then he's stuck with getting a programmable home phone unit or a home payphone so calls can only be made once the coins are paid into it.....
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

My Siemens Gigaset phone wireless basestation allows the configuration of different 'dialing plan' rules depending on an outgoing call's number prefix.

Am I correct in assuming you are talking about one of the Gigaset VoIP DECT versions?
I've got both VoIP and non-VoIP Gigaset DECT basestations, and whilst I'm aware of and have set up dialling rules in the VoIP version, I haven't seen any options to do the same with the non-VoIP one.  It would be nice to find out it's possible!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'RobPN' - It is a POTS+VoIP DECT base, Gigaset N300A-IP  Cool
nanotm
Pro

@purleigh can that be configured for just a landline without needing voip setup (too lazy to read the webpage to find out)
also there almost as expansive as a payphone for home use  Shocked
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it can be used just as a landline, you just plug it in and it just works like a normal phone.  Smiley
The normally advertised prices can be quite high, but I bought the base station as a bundle with three handsets, and there are regular 'sales' where they can be bought for 2/3rds the normal price, and in the end it only cost about £20 more than an equivalent plain DECT phone set.
The extra expense was soon recouped by the savings made by making nearly all outgoing calls on VoIP.
Look out for the N300A-IP or N300-IP base stations on eBay, as they are often for sale by people who found the VoIP setup too daunting !  Roll_eyes
You can easily buy 'nearly new' additional handsets on eBay for about £15, I got another one last week.  Smiley
nanotm
Pro

good to know,
far more advanced than anything I need but looking at the prices on ebay as you say seems like quite a cost effective solution for the op's problem
Anonymous
Not applicable

In practice using the handsets is no different from any other phone, as all the clever stuff is hidden from the user by the wireless base station.
Making a call, you never need worry whether it's via landline or one of many possible VoIP routes, as it just does it using your preset rules.
Incoming calls, whether POTS or VoIP, you just pick up like a normal phone. Simple !.
After the initial programming (if using VoIP), it really is just a nice phone with the answer phone accessible on the handset.
One feature I really like, is that you can program the handsets to NOT ring if the caller's number is withheld.  We use to be plagued with unwanted (no caller ID, or international) sales calls, and the frequent ringing used to cause a lot of stress and anxiety. 
Since using this system, those unwanted calls don't bother us any more.  Smiley
Then there is the phone directory, which can be copied between handsets.
I could go on and on, as there are so many well implemented features.  Kiss
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@'purleigh'
@'RobPN' - It is a POTS+VoIP DECT base, Gigaset N300A-IP

OK, thanks.  I recently obtained a Gigaset N300-IP, which as you're aware is similar to yours but without the answering machine facility.
Look out for the N300A-IP or N300-IP base stations on eBay, as they are often for sale by people who found the VoIP setup too daunting !

Say no more, that's how I got mine, although I don't think the seller had any problems understanding the setup.  Wink

Then there is the phone directory, which can be copied between handsets.
I could go on and on, as there are so many well implemented features.

I recently bought a couple of new Gigaset E49H 'rugged' handsets (and DECT basestation) to replace my old BT Elements 'rugged' handset upon which the display had partially failed leading to incoming Caller ID being almost illegible due to missing portions of characters, and the ability to transfer the directory from one handset to another was a very strong selling point for me as I'm fed up losing the directory when handset displays fail.   Angry
Soon after I bought the handsets I thought I may as well buy a N300-IP to have a play around with the VoIP facilities which I agree are fairly impressive, although there are two or three things missing when compared to my DrayTek 2920Vn VoIP router.  One thing in particular which doesn't appear to be possible with my particular Gigaset setup is the ability to dial a SIP URI, although I believe that may be possible by using a C610H handset, do you know anything about that?
A couple of things I'm impressed with where the Gigaset improves on the DrayTek are the ability to block individual handsets from accessing the landline, and the ability to apply the dialling plan rules to the landline in addition to the VoIP lines (at least I don't think that's possible on the DrayTek).