cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent crackling on long incoming call (minor problem)

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

intermittent crackling on long incoming call (minor problem)

Before I go through the rigmarole of reporting a ‘Voice’ fault I was wondering if someone from Plusnet could just run a remote line test on my line.
The reason is last night I received a rather long phone call from a mate and during the call noticed some ‘crackling’ intermittently on the call. It seemed to be coming from my end of the call as the noise was pretty clear to me but only faint to my mate.
We are on FTTC and although there has been a slight drop in connection speed (down from 75.96 to 73.69 today), I don’t think this is causing much of a problem connection wise (the possible reason was a short power cut some days ago). Therefore I would assume the ‘fault’ if any shows up, would be on the long connection from the green cabinet (about 150 Mtrs from our house) to the exchange some 3 miles away.
Not a big problem as problems go but it would be nice to know if there is a fault that shows up on your equipment so things can be put in motion to get it fixed.
Thanks, P.
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: intermittent crackling on long incoming call (minor problem)

There shouldn't be any rigmarole now on this, try the phone troubleshooter from here: http://www.plus.net/support/phone/troubleshooting.shtml
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Hi Chris,
Well, well, well, shows how often I have problems with your service I didn’t even know we could do a line test ourselves.
Anyway, test done, no fault found as I expected, must be just the cold evening playing up the connections in the cabinet again. Will keep an ‘ear’ rather than an ‘eye’ on things and run the test again if the problem gets any worse.
Thanks for the reply, the ref numb is 101464115 if you need it, otherwise I’ll go back to turning ts files into avi files to add to my film collection.
Regards, P.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's a new addition to the site, and a very useful one I believe.
Generally on a no fault found ticket the next step is an engineer, so if the noise comes back let us know and we can retest then. Alternatively I could close this ticket off, so you can retest yourself when the noise happens and if a fault is detected at that point it'll get raised with the info on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Best if you close this one off, I see no need to take it further at the moment.
I don’t get that many calls now a days so if it does cause problems in the future like a massive speed drop or something I’ll test again.
Thanks for the quick replies, I’ll leave you to deal with bigger problems.
Regards, P.