cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incorrect telephone number?

galaxy66
Grafter

incorrect telephone number?

I have just tried to test my  broadband speed on BT's speedtester and it states it is an incorrect telephone number? I hope this is nothing to do with changing over to plusnet, this has never happened before.
11 REPLIES 11
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: incorrect telephone number?

At the risk of invoking grandmothers and eggs - you didn't leave a space between the dialling code and the number did you?
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
galaxy66
Grafter

Nooooo definitely not Smiley as far as the BT speed tester goes my number does not exist after 33 years:)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

And dialling 17070 confirms your telephone number?
Just hang up after the lady reads your number back to you.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
galaxy66
Grafter

Yes the robot lady confirmed my number and  this is the result I have on BT speedtest
Please enter your Telephone Number (e.g. 01234123456) Or Service ID Or Both , below then click on "Go" to start the performance test.
Telephone Number    
Service ID

Authorisation failed Incorrect Telephone Number - Please try again
Just seem too coincidental with leaving BT and moving over to Plusnet.
dick:quote
pierre_pierre
Grafter

does the BT adsl checker work?  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
galaxy66
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
does the BT adsl checker work?   https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Number recognised on that link ok.
joesoho

Was given a phone number when i signed up. Worked for a few days, then started to get lots of wrong number calls. Turned out my number had been changed and no one told me. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: galaxy66
I have just tried to test my  broadband speed on BT's speedtester and it states it is an incorrect telephone number?

Just happened to me, although I ran a test last night without a problem.  I also dialled 17070 to confirm that my number, or my memory of it, had not mysteriously changed overnight.  So this must be a BT problem.  I'm with BT for phone and Plusnet for broadband, by the way.
The exact error message is "Authorisation failed Incorrect Telephone Number - Please try again".    
anytbut
Grafter

Ignore.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: ReedRichards
The exact error message is "Authorisation failed Incorrect Telephone Number - Please try again".    

Hour and a half later, I no longer get the "Incorrect Telephone Number" message, just one stage further  to "The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for flagging up the issues with the BT speedtester, some of which we're already aware of.
@ joesoho,
I'm concerned about what you've mentioned and can see that a fault is open at present. Feel free to give me a shout if you have any issues with that.
@galaxy66,
I've just tried running some tests on your line and couldn't find any issues. I'm guessing if you call someone with caller display that the correct number shows there too?
EDIT: I've just spotted a post from another customer who's had the same issue so it seems that we need to raise that with our suppliers.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team