cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

house move has line in but other service present

haggis
Grafter

house move has line in but other service present

Yea i know confusing  Embarrassed .Am thinking of moving to another area The property must have a phone line as there is one of those pull cord alarm systems (grandson pulled a cord and some one asked if assistance was requred ) on it which was live when we viewd.My question do these services either disrupt BB or cause any problems with same .I have no idea what any phone number is as yet .As this seems to be included in the rent I asume the local area council pays some kind of landline rental to someone.There is what looked like a newish phone socket which looks like it has been added after some kind of small terminal box inside a door ,Couldn't see any phoneline on the outside of the property so no idea where it comes from .With this in mind would it be easer/better to ask Plusnet for a new line & number If so does this only cost the £50 I read in the house move help pages or the Mind boggling £150 quoted by BT for new lines . I am disabled so this service would be helpful .
7 REPLIES 7
Mand
Grafter

Re: house move has line in but other service present

Hi there,
A standard intercom system shouldn't affect phone or broadband, but I couldn't be sure until we tried to place an order and got an accept.
If you did need a new line it would cost £49.99.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

A standard intercom system shouldn't affect phone or broadband,

I can see it, perhaps, not affecting the provisioning but wouldn't it need to be filtered, and since its probably hardwired isn't that going to be tricky?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mand
Grafter

Depends on how it's installed. My grandad has one of those things, but it goes into the back of a filtered faceplate.
haggis
Grafter

Thanks for that I'm not sure if its a filtered faceplate or not it only had the one socket in it.Same as the one I have here .Have included a pic not a very good one though What looks like a phone line terminal box just insde door and to the left the phone socket .Second pic is the intercom thing on the wall near the box
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Does the 'intercom thing' have a handset that you can use for dialling? If so is there a dial tone and if there is try dialling 17070. If it is connected to the exchange it will tell you the number.
I'd suggest trying using the intercom and asking the person who answers if it's over the phone system.
Can you post a close up photo of the phone socket please.
You could also try plugging a phone in to the socket and trying the 17070 test.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
haggis
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Does the 'intercom thing' have a handset that you can use for dialling? If so is there a dial tone and if there is try dialling 17070. If it is connected to the exchange it will tell you the number.
I'd suggest trying using the intercom and asking the person who answers if it's over the phone system.
Can you post a close up photo of the phone socket please.
You could also try plugging a phone in to the socket and trying the 17070 test.

1. No handset seen
2.Official who was there pressed a button to answer to tell the other person that the house was unocupied and it was a viewing .Didn't think at time to ask about this  Cry .
3 Sorry those are the best pics I have I do remember it is one of the new ones with the removable lower bit .
4 As we are presently about 200 miles away from the address that could be difficult. From Mands answers it it is probable that will get a second line in If things go through
  Thanks for your input Jelv I know that one already if can get a phone on the line would just ring my own mobile same result
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

To ring your mobile would need an active phone account to be charged for the call. 17070 will still work I think when outgoing calls are barred.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)