cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home phone voicemail

eastendboy

home phone voicemail

hi there, my home phone  was switched over to plusnet on 8/1/14. my own answerphone hasn't worked since, and calls are diverted over to the plusnet voicemail service. is there any way I can get my phone answer machine to take the missed calls instead of the voicemail service. any assistance would be much appreciated, thanks
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: home phone voicemail

A quick fix is if you can change the number of rings before the answer phone clicks in to make sure it answers before the 1571 service does. That doesn't help if your line is engaged however.
You need to get the 1571 service turned off - I think you should be able to do that via the portal. I think the link you need is http://www.plus.net/plustalk/index.php?page=wlr_add_call_features
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
eastendboy

hi jelv . I did look at my call features, but wasn't sure if removing the voicemail service would make my answerphone work again. i suppose it is too much of a coincidence.
thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Your answer phone will normally kick in if the phone rings for a certain period without you answering it yourself. If the 1571 answers the phone before then the phone will stop ringing and obviously your answer phone will not pick up the call.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I suggest removing the free Voicemail service. The page you need to do this is the WLR Remove Call Features one.
Taking that action will stop Voicemail (1571) taking calls at all leaving your answer machine to pick them up after however rings you like it set to. If someone calls when your line is engaged they will get an engaged tone, which in my opinion is more helpful than having Voicemail cut in immediately - getting an engaged tone means the caller will not be charged and knows you are busy.
Of course, if you do want Voicemail to pick up calls when your line is engaged you would have to ensure the answer machine picks up calls after 5 or 6 rings and leave Voicemail active. Voicemail kicks in after 7 rings when the line is not engaged.
David
eastendboy

thanks to both jelv and spraxyt. I will remove the voicemail service. you have both been very helpful