Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extra call charges

arjay
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

extra call charges

Why do I pay 23 pence per call, more than length of call rounded up and multiplied  by 13.5 ppm . What am I missing?

17 REPLIES 17
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: extra call charges

From https://www.plus.net/help/legal/residential-phone-tariffs/ , section "how we charge for calls"

Call set up fees

A call set up fee of 22p is applied to chargeable calls unless stated otherwise on this page.

So you pay for the call to be setup and then a per minute charge. All explained at the above link.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
arjay
Rising Star

OK, so it’s all there in black and white but I wonder how many read all the details. Who reads the t&c’s when downloading a program.

PlusNet landline call tariffs says

• Call set up fees

A call set up fee of 22p is applied to chargeable calls unless stated otherwise on this page.

Where does it state whether or not the call charge should be applied?

• How we calculate call charges

If applicable, the set up fee is added

Where does it say if it’s applicable or not?

Why not say on the Tariff, “calls charged at 13.50 ppm plus 22p per call setup charge” Then we wouldn’t have to search all the details to find out exactly how much we have to pay.

The system is in place and it’s all automatic. If I make a call, no one has to lift a finger to connect that call. If PlusNet and other providers incurred any extra cost when I make a call, perhaps I could understand it, but they don’t. I pay line rental and call charges, now a setup fee. How many charges can they drum up to rip us off?

I went into McDucks and ordered a big duck and muck shake, that’ll be £3.50 she said, £3.00 for big duck and muck shake plus £0.50 for the order setup fee!!! There could be no end to it. Ticked_off

arjay
Rising Star

Why are all my call charges 0.5/1p more than my simple calculation

What mathematical wizardry is applied to justify this, surely not another round up?

call charges.jpg

SpendLessTime
Hero

@arjay

I'm just a customer like yourself and can only point you to the Plusnet published information.

If that information doesn't make sense, there is nothing I can add.

Hopefully a staff member will come along at some point and offer some assistance.

arjay
Rising Star

Hi SpendLesstime,

I'm sure you were only trying to help, perhaps my reply should not have been directed to your comment. I apologise, no offence meant 

SpendLessTime
Hero

None taken, just wanted you to be clear about my post. 

arjay
Rising Star

I understand, thank you Smiley

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @arjay,

Thanks for getting in touch. I can see @SpendLessTime has linked you to our tariff page which includes all our charges for calls made outside a callplan etc. These charges are also advised at signup if over the phone and in the t's & c's as you've noticed. Line rental is just for the rental of the line, if you wish to make calls you would need to pay 0.22p if outside your call plan, and an additional 13.50p per minute.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help out with.

arjay
Rising Star

Hi gingerniffler12

Thanks for your reply

I’m 11 years past the allotted three score and ten. I may not be as erudite as some and there were no GCE’s in my day. But I’m able to read and understand what I read. I do know what line rental is, and now I know what the call setup charge is. However, with all due respect  you haven't answered my question in post #20

Specifically.,"why does my bill have all the extra 0.5 and 1p’s over and above the call charge plus the 22p setup charge"

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

The 'extra' 0.5p's will be the round-up as explained in the link to call charges that @SpendLessTime posted earlier in this thread.

Can't think of an explanation for the additional 1p's shown in your table.

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @arjay

Thanks for getting back in touch again.

As @JayG has said the 0.5p will be rounding up, regarding the extra 1p's I am going to look into this a bit more for you and come back with some confirmed information.

arjay
Rising Star

Hi JayG

Why are the individual charges not left as is and the final bill rounded up if needs be, I can’t see any difficulty in that, computers are clever things. 0.5p may seem an insignificant sum, but if they're all added up from all Plusnet customers bills, it must amount to a tidy sum. Nice work if you can get it.

As you say there is no explanation for the extra 1p added. I wonder if anyone at Plusnet is able to answer that. Just seen Warwick's post. Thanks Warwick

I have to say that in my case the odd penny or half penny here and there doesn’t really matter, apart from not liking a shady practice, if it is.

In my youth I was told pennies make pounds. Extrapolating this, many pennies make many pounds, and many pounds make rich corporations at someone else’s cost.

arjay
Rising Star

The penny pilferer of Plusnet is still on the loose. Ensconced in the warm security of a dingy closet in the accounts dept. Wringing his long bony hands in a Scrooge like manner, gleefully counting the extra profit he has screwged out of unsuspecting clients.

Am I the only victim of this land locked pirate, or are all Plusnet phone users experiencing the same questionable practice? Ticked_off

arjay
Rising Star

Warwich doesn’t seem to want to answer me

I  received a reply from [CSA Removed] - CSC Analyst 1:49pm, Tuesday 13 Nov 2018 Who said

-Internal-

This is not an issue with our systems this is our normal operating practice as stated in our terms and conditions:

Call set up fees

How we calculate call charges

- Calls are subject to a minimum length of one minute and are rounded up to the next minute

- If applicable, the set up fee is added

- The total is rounded up to the nearest 1p

This can be found here

Under "Residential phone tariff information"

and sub heading "How we charge for calls"

This gentleman has clearly no looked at the diagram I sent as an example of my phone charges.

I understand charges are rounded up to the next penny, but why is there an extra penny on charges that are to the full penny and do not require rounding up.

I have posted this in the community so I can be sure [CSA Removed] can see what I’m referring to and perhaps give me a properly considered answer

Excuse my frustration

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.