cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ex-directory query

jmd
Grafter

ex-directory query

I have Homephone and am happy with it [and payment method] BUT I am supposed to be ex-directory, also registered with TPS AND I am getting marketing calls from abroad addressing me by name!  They have even left messages on ansaphone [which does not give name or number]
Why is ex-directory not  for these calls?
20 REPLIES 20
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: ex-directory query

Ex directory will have no effect if the calling company already have your number.
Also, the TPS is worthless if the company is abroad - they are not bound by the legal doctrine of the TPS.
My suggestion would be to advise them not to call you again - perhaps in the most colourful language that you can think of Smiley
B.
James
Grafter

Or buy a whistle.
It's what my mother did when she was getting prank calls from someone in Colombia.
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
Ex directory will have no effect if the calling company already have your number.
B.

How can they already have my number? It was a new number given to me only last September!
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Barry
Also, the TPS is worthless if the company is abroad - they are not bound by the legal doctrine of the TPS.
My suggestion would be to advise them not to call you again - perhaps in the most colourful language that you can think of Smiley

B.

I had a double glazing firm that kept phoning despite me telling them not to and also having TPS. 
In the end I arranged a visit from their rep.  When he arrived I was out.  The phone calls stopped.
zubel
Community Veteran

Heh, funny you should say that.
I also had a window firm from the "Anglian" region of the UK who were very persistent in trying to contact me (in the days before TPS)
I invited a sales rep over for a visit.
He realised very quickly that he was in deep mire, because I worked for the firm that wrote all of the sales/production/costing software that said company used.  I knew more about what their products cost than he did.
Following a three hour "consultation", I turned to my girlfriend and said: "Well, I think the new windows and conservatory would look absolutely fabulous.  I wonder if the landlord would agree?"
The look on the sales guys face was.....  well worth taking a photo of.
B.
John_Essex
Grafter

This is definitely of topic but reading the thread I just have to write it.
I had a very good looking young lady call selling double glazing and I said that I was in need of having one window replaced in the kitchen as the wooden frame was rotting.
We arranged a time and she duly arrived and started giving me the sales patter about the massivley over expensive window.
One of the features she was plugging was that it was burgular proof and made of a special metal that couldn't be broken into.
With that I asked if she would mind if I tried to "break in" to her window frame.
Go ahead she replied.
Well after about two minutes with my trusty hacksaw I had cut her demonstration frame into two pieces.
With that she left rather red faced and I often wonder how on earth she explained the sawn in half window to her boss.  Cheesy
Ianwild
Grafter

Absolute class John!
hulls
Grafter

Some friends of ours also kept getting calls from a double glazing company (which they'd used previously)  They kept explaining that all their windows had been replaced by that very firm, but still kept getting the calls.
Eventually, when one rep said "what about a conservatory?" they said ok what can you do.  They discussed all the options over the phone and arranged for a rep to call round.  Just as they were about to hang up, our friend said, "Just one more thing, will the fact that we're in a third floor flat be a problem?"
No more calls Grin
As to the TPS, it only applies to companies who have signed up to it!  The sorts of companies who use these marketing techniques, don't bother to sign up, and so it doesn't apply to them.
John
prichardson
Grafter

An incorrect assumption.
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
It is a legal requirement that all companies do not call you if you are on the TPS register, unless they have your consent to do so.
No how they go about this does not stipulate it must be the TPS list itself, but then unless it is the list, how can they seek confirmation you are not on the list.
Many companies get around this by calling from outside of the UK, as this law does not extend beyond out borders.
Do as I once did. After submitting a form for an insurance quote with one company, ensuring careful selection of the "Do not pass my details on for fear of your life" boxes, I got some calls.
I knew instantly who o had given the details out as up to this point, I had never used my number of any list of any sort.
After ignoring the information that I had already purchased purchased insurnace, they kept calling.
On the 4th call I asked for the name and address by which to make a data protection query.
It's surprisingly shocking how many people do not have a basic understanding of what the data protection act can offer to them, or for that matter, how many of these call makers do not understand on their obligations when requests are made to them.
One thing I do know is that for those that don't have this basic grasp, it scares the proverbial out of them.
So after being placed on hold several times over the course of an hour and the obligatory transfer between departments, all at their expense mind, I reached the end of the road and they could only offer their complaints team address.
Never mind, the calls stopped.
I also get the annual call from Sky, sorry, on behalf of Sky, trying to flog me insurance on my set-top box. However I wont be doing the dirty on these, as you can get a free Sky box if you know how.
hulls
Grafter

Very interesting!  My response was based on a conversation I had with either BT or Ofcom, I can't remember which, when I was told that they could only take action against marketing companies which had signed up for the scheme.
You live and learn.
My method for dealing with overseas calls, is to pick up the phone but say nothing.  either the phone goes dead after a few seconds, or an American voice will say "hello" a couple of times before it goes dead. (I may as well let them pay for the call ;))
I sometimes get a spate of 2 or 3 three of these close together and then none for months.
John
RobDickson
Grafter

I just raised a ticket to make sure that my number was still ex-directory having moved from BT to PlusNet, and was told:
As you are no longer a BT customer then you would not be listed in any phone book or directory service. We do not publish any directorys [sic] so your number will be ex-directory.

I had assumed that the telephone directory has all numbers in it, not just those of people who are direct customers of BT. This isn't a problem for me (because I want to be ex-directory), but could be a problem for lots of people who transfer from BT to other companies.
paulby
Grafter

I think you've been given some incorrect information - I'm sure that Mand will be along to "educate" the CS agent concerned. Wink
The correct answer is here.
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks. Ticket ID: 24456938.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: hulls
Very interesting!  My response was based on a conversation I had with either BT or Ofcom, I can't remember which, when I was told that they could only take action against marketing companies which had signed up for the scheme.

Perhaps you have confused the Telephone Preference Scheme and the Mailing Preference Scheme. If I recall correctly Mailing only applies to companies abiding by the scheme (most of the major ones) but Telephone is a matter of law applying to all marketing calls originating in the UK.