cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection fault

ghostman

connection fault

This is my 1st day of connection but I'm having trouble already. Although the line is active I am not able to ring out and anyone ringing in gets straight through to voice mail. Rang support team and I was told to check my main socket and all seems ok as far as I can tell(I'm not an engineer). I've been told I will be charged £60 for a engineer to call, this I can't afford. I want to cancel my account, There is a cooling off period, but seem to be getting nowhere speaking to the support team. Any advice on what steps I should take?  Undecided
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: connection fault

You'd only be charged the money if there was a fault with your equipment that could have been easily solved.
However, if with no phones plugged in people calling you going straight to voicemail would suggest it's not your equipment. It would be a good idea to check multiple phones in the test socket which you access by removing a plate where the phone comes into the house.
And welcome to the forums, wish it was in happier circumstances Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ghostman

Just re checked, I'd only checked the extension socket, the main box where the line comes in looks quite old really, took the top off but could not see any test socket. There is no dialling tone when any phone is plugged in, corded or cordless. This suggest that the fault is the original line socket. I suppose this is my responsibility and is chargeable, would I be correct?
Thanks for the welcome,
pengbo
Grafter

generally the first socket where the line comes in belongs to BT and we ain't supposed to touch certain parts of it.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Indeed sounds like you have an old socket which doesn't have the same demarcation points as the new ones, so is not your responsibility as far as I can tell.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ghostman

Quote from: dvorak
Indeed sounds like you have an old socket which doesn't have the same demarcation points as the new ones, so is not your responsibility as far as I can tell.

So if that's the case, do i ring BT for them to replace FOC ?
Thanks for all the help dvorak & pengbo
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Do you pay line rental to BT or Plusnet? If it's Plusnet you report the "no dial tone" phone fault to them.
David
ghostman

I pay to plusnet, got it in the package I took out 3 days ago.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, I can see you've raised a fault and that's been escalated for you, thanks for that. As soon as we get any updates we'll let you know.
ghostman

Openreach have been and replaced the faulty main socket, this I hope is not chargeable to me.  Undecided
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ghostman,
No you won't be charged for this one. If it comes to it and we're charged, we'll dispute it but either way it won't be passed on to yourself.