Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

combining 2 adjacent properties phone lines

FIXED
islecastle
Hooked

combining 2 adjacent properties phone lines

I have a semi detached cottage with its own phone line. The cottage is now unoccupied and I want to merge the phone line with my main Plusnet one.

The line in is connected to a box on my house, Two lines come from this box, one to my home and one to the cottage so the line in serves the 2 properties.

How do I do this?

Dave

15 REPLIES 15
islecastle
Hooked

Re: combining 2 adjacent properties phone lines

Just to clarify, the line to the cottage is not currently active.

Dave

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@islecastle  If it could be done what do you expect to achieve by "merging" the lines. Why is your Plusnet line the "main" one. They are actually separate connections to each property and there is no way they can be merged together.

It can't be done.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@islecastle 

This cabling, up to the master socket in each property, live or not, is the property of Openreach, fiddle with it at your risk.

Why not just rum an extension cable around, cable is cheap enough? 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

islecastle
Hooked

Thanks. I don't want to fiddle with it myself. I f it could be done by BT, that is fine.

I am old and infirm and have 2 flights of stairs to climb, whereas the semi detached cottage is all at ground level, so I am thinking to move in there.

An extension cable would have to be 50 ft long. How would that affect phone and broadband performance? I'm currently on 35mbs.

Dave

Baldrick1

@islecastle 

Run two cables, an extension for your phone and an Ethernet cable from one of your hub’s LAN sockets. In the other property fit a Wireless Access Point. Broadband speed would be unaffected.

If you intend moving why not just inform Plusnet that you are moving and they will get Openreach to transfer the service to the other line?

Moderator and Customer

islecastle
Hooked

Thanks. As you may guess I am not very technically aware of the different names of pieces of equipment or the law regarding moving cables etc.

Would running the ethernet cable from the router and telephone extension cable be legal. I think I could do that myself.

Would cable lengths of 50ft or 15 m degrade the phone and broadband performance significantly?

I am not yet sure that the move would be permanent, so I don't want to move the main line in just yet.

I don't use the phone for outgoing calls.

I can't get wireless connection in the other property.

Dave

Baldrick1

Fix

@islecastle 

Yes it’s totally legal, no it wouldn’t affect your broadband speed. You can go to 100m with Ethernet cable without any speed problems.

If you fit a wireless access point in the other property on the end of the Ethernet cable you would have wireless connectivity.  For example  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LRQW0GM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01LRQW0GM&pd_rd_w=HLPab&p...

Moderator and Customer

islecastle
Hooked

Thank you Baldrick1. I think that my queries are answered. i think the extension cales would suffice.

Dave

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@islecastle If you had described what you wanted to do in your first post rather than the vague merging the lines query I would have been able to give more relevant help.

It now appears that you want to use your existing phoneline and broadband in the other property, possibly on a temporary basis. @Baldrick1 has made some useful suggestions which could achieve that.

islecastle
Hooked

Baldrick1 seemed to get what I was after.

Thanks for your replies.

Dave

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@islecastle I have absolutely no idea how he deduced your requirements from your opening post.🤔

islecastle
Hooked

I don't suppose you have.

Anyway, that's you on ignore.

Baldrick1

@islecastle 

Whist on this occasion I was better at reading between the lines be aware that @RealAleMadrid is one of the active band of fellow customers who give their time to try to help fellow customers.

I'm sure that no offence was meant, more a case of explaining the difficulties when in many cases people come here to seek advice on what they believe to be the solution to a problem/issue, rather than first explaining what it is that they are trying to achieve then asking if their solution will work.

If you need further help or clarification of the proposed solution then please do not hesitate to come back.

Moderator and Customer

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

There are potentially other considerations here.  If your intention is to move properties - that is occupy the cottage rather than the house where the service is provided at present - what will happen to the house?  Might it become occupied by someone else?  How will the extension solution work then?

An alternative solution would be to arrange a "house move" of your existing service to the cottage.

A pragmatic solution if you know of a friendly BT engineer might be to ask them if they could swap the pairs over in the junction box.

Hmmm on re-reading the thread...

"The line in is connected to a box on my house, Two lines come from this box, one to my home and one to the cottage so the line in serves the 2 properties."

Do you mean wires or do you really mean lines?  That is does your home and the cottage have separate telephone numbers or does one line (number) serve both properties - that is the two lines (wires) coming from the box are the same line (telephone service) split to two locations?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.