cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

block mobile numbers?

laurencass

block mobile numbers?

wondered if its possible to block mobile numbers from being called on the house phone and if so how do i go about doing this? as i am paying the bill as part of my rent and my family are running the bill up almost double through phone calls and not contributing anything  Angry
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: block mobile numbers?

You can get your monthly limit reduced, to say £10
Then tell the perpetrators.
laurencass

ive already spoken to them, but just checked the bill online and theyre still doing it. i want the monthly limit reduced to 0, is this possible? i refuse to pay £25 extra a month for other peoples phone calls
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possibly £0 is too low.
Ring PN or create a question (help assistant) , usually pretty immediate response.
I reduced my limit very easily.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not a good idea http://www.plus.net/support/phone/home_phone/billing.shtml#useCredit
10. What happens if I use my credit before the end of the month?
As you approach your credit limit, we'll email you to make sure you know that you're getting close.
If you reach or go over your credit limit, your calls (apart from emergency and operator) will be redirected to our Support Team and a charge of £5.76 will be added to your next bill.
You'll need to top-up and have at least £5 credit available before you can make calls again.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That seems unreasonable, the whole point in my case is to stop burglars or children using my phone and running up excessive bills!
Thanks for pointing that out, I was unaware of that penalty.
Still I suppose a charge of £5.76 is better than an unauthorised bill of £ lots of money.
And calls would be blocked until £5 credit added.
Is there a way around that, ie block calls after limit reached with no penalty ?
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

It used to be possible to buy a device that locked over the phone socket that could prevent non-emergency calls with a key turn. The more expensive ones were programmable to filter permitted/barred calls. These devices now seem to have been withdrawn from sale.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/0154728/
Your only option seems to be to move to BT or other phone service provider that permits one (at a price) to control phone calls with the use of a PIN.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unplug the phone until they pay itemised previous bills.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

The trouble with that is Laurencass would then be unable to receive incoming calls. Also if the phone is locked away no one else will  be able to call the emergency services if the need arises.
One possibility is to install a payphone (but the problem then is how to lock the phone's plug into the phone socket to prevent it being bypassed with another phone). Then by charging a premium on all phone calls you could recoup the cost of the payphone and your previous losses.
http://www.payphoneservice.co.uk/sales.html
AlaricAdair
Champion

Some years ago I gave each of the kids a PAYG mobile phone each for Christmas.  The idea was they could chat to their friends on their mobiles, but be aware of the cost. The soon discovered it was "cheaper" to call their friends from the house land line phone.  They had convenient extension handsets in their bedrooms.
The next quarterly phone bill was a little larger than normal. Intead of the usual £100 or so it had crept up to a mere £750 for that quarter.
I found the act of me roaring into their bedrooms and ripping the phone from their wall sockets discouraged them from further excessive usage.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
laurencass

thanks for your help everyone. looks like im just gonna have to deal with it and extract money out of someone! or possibly take the house phone with me whenever i go out haha
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can lock the keypad on my £20 a pair twin wireless home phones, from Comet with a special not obvious key, press and hold.
Logicom 352 Cordless Phone x 2
You tell your family you have it BT blocked with a special code.
Your own phone may already have this facility, hide the instruction book.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: laurencass
thanks for your help everyone. looks like im just gonna have to deal with it and extract money out of someone! or possibly take the house phone with me whenever i go out haha

No need to take the whole phone, just remove the detachable short cable between phone and wallbox and take, or hide that.