Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

answering machine

trustnoone

answering machine

hi
since moving my phone from bt/onetel to talk talk and then onto plusnet
I have found that my answering machine does not work properly. 
has anyone had similar problems?Huh
ps it is not the machine as I bought an identical machine and the problem was still there.
9 REPLIES 9
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: answering machine

Do you mean it stopped working when you switched to PlusNet or when you switched to Talk Talk?
Is the machine connected via an ADSL filter/splitter?
In what way does it not work properly. I presume you mean it does not answer calls? if so, have you checked to config to see if things like answer after so many rings is set or can be set.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
We see this a lot with lines moved from Onetel or Talk Talk.
The issue is likely to be something called proprietary voicemail, which often tends to cause problems because BT Wholesale 1571 cannot override this.
The quickest way of resolving this is to contact Talk Talk and ask them to add and then remove proprietary voicemail, then add our voicemail once this is removed.
A pain I appreciate, but it does seem the quicker way to resolve this from recent experience.
trustnoone

thanks for the replies.
it stopped working when switched from one tel to talktalk and the fault has remained when transferred to plusnet
the machine is connected via an adsl filter.
the problem is that the answer is triggered but at the point of "please leave your message after the tone" there is no tone and 
the machine runs on till the end of its recording time without recording anything
re mand
does that mean i cannot use my answer machine and have to use voice mail?Huh
thanks again for the replies
paulby
Grafter

Have you tried the machine on a non-PlusNet line (e.g. a friend's standard BT line)?
It's highly unlikely that moving to PN would cause this - the line etc. used is identical to a BT retail line.  It's more likely to be either a defective machine, it's been configured wrongly or there's something amiss with your wiring
How many other phones etc. have you on the line?  Have you exceeded the REN for the line?  Have you tried a different make of answer machine?
Mand was referring, I believe, to voicemail giving problems and not physical answering machines.
I've had lines from BT, TalkTalk and PlusNet and my answering machine has worked on them all.
trustnoone

thanks for the replies
i dont thinkit is the machine as i bought an identical one and the problem persists.
when i transferred to talktalk the company did llu at the exchange and the problem seemed to appear after that. i was unable to get talktalk to do anything and i had hoped when i went to plusnet the problem would have been solved.is it possible that the llu procedure could have caused the problem?Huh
notheruser
Grafter

It is possible, but unlikely that LLU caused the problem. As has been suggested, try your answering machine elsewhere - don't assume that you could not have two faulty ones - i recently came across a shop selling telephone extension leads, and all of their stock were wrongly wired! Are you using an extension lead? Can you plug in at the master socket and give it a go?
Muckles

I'm having the identical problem - use a BT Freelance XD answering machine. Switched from BT, with TalkTalk for some calls, to PlusNet. Since doing so, when I phone home, the non-available message does not kick in. Any idea why? Thanks for any help on this.
notheruser
Grafter

Muckles / trustnoone - is the fault present when you plug in at the master socket? (Remove the lower half of the plate so that you can plug directly into BT's line, with all of your house wiring disconnected). If the fault is present, I'd suggest you take your answering machine to someone else's house and repaeat the test. If it works elsewhere, and not on the master socket at your own house, it looks as though something is up with your line (ringing voltage or cadence). In this case, raise a call with PlusNet, letting them know the findings of your tests. (Do the tests first - that way you can confidently say that this is a problem with the line - not with your equipment or house wiring).
If the answering machine does work in the master socket, but not when you plug in the lower half of the master socket, then there are other tests we can suggest. trustnoone - it will help if you answer all of Paul_B's questions, to help eliminate possible sources of the problem.
Muckles

Hi everyone. Ultimate embarrassment - somehow the answering machine got turned off! Certainly not deliberate - so, of course, if you switch on the answering machine, it works! Very s :(orry to bother you needlessly. Sad Sad