cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another tariff enquiry

Razer
Grafter

Yet another tariff enquiry

07699 cannot be found in PN's appallingly bad/complex tariff page.
My basic understanding is that PN generally follow BT's tariff because so many tariff enquiries here are directed to BT's listings.
On BT's tariff here, 07699 numbers are listed as being Local. I, however, have been charged 22p for a one minute call to such a number. Can someone from PN in the know please explain why I've been charged this way for a BT local banding call? Moreover, can you also direct me specifically to the exact listing on PN's tariff page where charges to this number range are shown?  Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Yet another tariff enquiry

Calls to that number are specified as ' Local Non-Geographic ' so the price per minute is 7.95p. The setup fee is 13.1 pence, so when they are added together it's 21.05 pence, which is then rounded up to 22 pence.
The pricing for this type of call is the same as Local non-geographical (0845) numbers, but not included in your minutes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Interestingly, I have 07699 and 0820 filtered into an alternate chargeband which is not included in most inclusive minutes for 'Local Non-Geographic' calls.
Razer
Grafter

Thank you Chris. I need to repeat my question:
Moreover, can you also direct me specifically to the exact listing on PN's tariff page where charges to this number range are shown? And I do mean the code 07699 and not "Local Non-Geographic".
How am I (or any customer) supposed to identify that this number range is considered 'Local non-geographic' when we are usually directed to BT listings to try to decipher the arcane and obscure mysteries of the ever-moving-goal-post-pricing, and BT listing has it as Local? It's about time that phone companies (including PN) made their pricing absolutely transparent, instead of hiding behind obfuscation, like they're some kind of occult order seeking to protect their practices from the glaring light of truth, and making excuses that they can't be transparent because the bands are always changing. The pricing pages are the financial equivalent of "small print". Even the PN representative I spoke to on the phone couldn't identify what charge band such a number belonged to.
Also, when did the set up fee change from, what was it - 5/6p to 13.1p?
Ben, I'm sorry but your post means nothing to me and only adds to the arcane mysteries of this subject.
Maybe I need to submit a 'B23825a' form with a pink copy of the 'A8328b1' chit that has been properly validated by a 'C4921e (ammended)' stamp to the right department, probably on the third floor of building three on Wednesdays only, when the moon is full and Venus is in transit before any of us can get absolutely clear pricing.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Please allow me to c+p from an internal post I've just made which gives more of an explanation around this issue:
The full list of mapping telephone numbers to a chargeband is called the NCDB. This list is huge and contains every number range that can possibly be used at any time and the corresponding network / country / premium rate. Some networks own blocks of these numbers but are free to sell them to someone else at any time, perhaps in a different country or to be used differently to the original block (e.g. 07 mobile ranges being sold to international operators) - the NCDB then needs to be updated to match.
If we were to maintain our own version of the NCDB we could then tell anyone what the exact call costs would be, for any number. However, maintaining and tracking every single sale of every block of phone numbers would be an exhaustive tasks, requiring 24/7 monitoring, updates, and assurance before every single call processing run!
As it happens, we let BT Wholesale assign the relevant chargeband to the call, and apply our charges based on this.

Call setup fee was increased to 13.1p from 12.5p in November 2012, I don't have the dates off the top of my head for previous increases, all customers are notified of changes with a month's notice. Have you checked your emails from us to see?
We have no further listings or any listing in greater depth than seen at http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/tariffs/
Razer
Grafter

Thanks for your reply, Ben.
Ridiculous complexity it is this NCDB. I'm not going to harp on about it as I've expressed my view already, which still holds, but thanks for the info on the farce of it: I still have images from the film Brazil firmly fixed in my head which I alluded to with my 'various forms mockery' in my previous post. I know only too well that aside from frustration to customers the system doesn't really help you guys either.
As to call set up fees: when did it go up to 12.5p? I kid, I kid. Seriously, though, I had a gap with having any land line for around two years (only getting this one with you guys in November ... I think), which likely explains why I still thought call set up was 5/6p. Bit of a shock to see it's more than doubled in that time.