Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong phoneline activated

fadeaway
Grafter

Wrong phoneline activated

Hiii!  Smiley
I was told that my phoneline went active about a week ago (I just moved into a new flat).
So I've been happily using my home phone for a while now...
But then I phoned up plusnet to confirm that my broadband would be activated today - and they said the phoneline I was calling from (my home line) was not the one they had on file for me!
Hmm...
I have 4 sockets in the house in total... 1 of them is dead/no dial tone. The other 3 all have the same number, the one I've been using for a few days now and was told that's the wrong one.

Firstly - how is the phoneline working if it's not the one I ordered through plusnet?! I wonder who is paying for it.
And what has happened? O_ o I'm very confused but I think this means my broadband will be active on the phoneline I don't have...  doh. I'm also guessing this means my broadband will be late!  Sad

Anyone know what can cause this? Is there a chance plusnet just got the wrong address?Huh
10 REPLIES 10
fadeaway
Grafter

Re: Wrong phoneline activated

Well I got a text message last night to tell me the broadband had been activated...  lol. I suppose I have a broadband connection somewhere in the world.. no idea where it is though!
All phone sockets in my flat go to Virgin when I dial 150 for the switchboard, they tell me I am not the owner but with a few keyboard strokes I could take over the line and internet instantly if I wished... so if plusnet don't get this sorted I'll exercise my cooling off period rights from the distance selling regulations act, claim my money back and just switch. Seems like that might be a lot simpler. Also not happy about the subscription and startup payment being taken as soon as I ordered rather than when I begin to receive the service, that's just dodgy.
Also - I noticed this on my account:
Cessation charge £25.00(upon cancellation) Activated
I do hope that isn't an attempt to charge me for the wrong phoneline being activated? I was told numerous times when I ordered that there wouldn't be any installation or stupid engineer/connection fees.
fadeaway
Grafter

Running out of patience with this really.
Just called up to ask for an update, was told that an engineer had to be called out to install a new line at my property.
I already have a phoneline. It works. The socket works. Why would I need a new one installed?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry to hear of the issues you've had so far, I've asked one of my team to take a look and reply in here shortly.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
fadeaway
Grafter

Thanks Chris.
I just received a phonecall saying that Openreach have been contacted, that that they can confirm both the phone number which I currently have plugged in to a socket in my flat supplied by Virgin AND the number plusnet have given me are both linked to my address..
However like I said I checked every socket in the house... all of them but 1 have the Virgin number, and the 1 that does not has no dial tone.
The caller said an engineer will be sent out?.. What does this mean?
Does it mean the socket with no dial tone is meant to be the one that Plusnet connects to my house on? If so that's annoying.. it's located in the second bedroom whereas the other sockets are all over the house and linked together!
Also, does this mean I have to pay for the engineer to come fix this?
Why couldn't Plusnet just use the line virgin was using for the previous owners?
fadeaway
Grafter

PS - I don't mind technical explanations. Please don't dumb it down for me.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi fadeaway,
We're sorry that this hasn't been handled as well as it could have been so far. As I'm sure you're already aware its a bit of a complex issue and a little out of the ordinary.
To explain what seems to have happened here when we originally ordered your phone service we requested that the Openreach engineers performed a 'start of a stopped line', this is where a phone service is applied to a physical line with a socket which is inactive. However it seems that the service was not mapped to any of the existing sockets at your property. With regards to the Virgin sockets, unfortunately it's not BT property so we can't touch that I'm afraid.
To remedy this I'll need to report this as a fault to Openreach and arrange an engineer visit for you. I'm going to get on with this straight away and will keep you posted from here.
Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fadeaway
Grafter

Thanks Adam and everyone else who has helped, this is now heading in a good direction  Smiley  Fingers crossed
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem,
Just so you know the fault is now logged, I'll update you again when we know more.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fadeaway
Grafter

The openreach engineer called this morning, so I nipped home from work to meet him and get it sorted.
20 minutes later my phone and internet work!
Some sort of routing problem at the exchange, some wires not connected properly  Huh

Anyway, huge thanks to everyone who helped get this solved, especially Adam who really took ownership of the problem, identified the faults and organised the fix - keeping me updated along the way. Wish my company had more staff like you!

Unfortunately have just noticed the 4 months free + free connection offer for plusnet I missed out on - doh!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi fadeaway,
Thanks a lot for letting us know and thanks a lot for your patience whilst this was being resolved.
Anyway, huge thanks to everyone who helped get this solved, especially Adam who really took ownership of the problem, identified the faults and organised the fix - keeping me updated along the way. Wish my company had more staff like you!

Cheers for the kind words too I might have to 'accidentally' show this to my line manager several times Smiley
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team