cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Flat connected (?)

toms85

Wrong Flat connected (?)

Hey, thought I'd get a quicker answer in here from someone at plusnet!
I ordered the fibre and home phone package yesterday, the homephone service was connected today, but they have connected the wrong flat, I'm at 37b.
We dont have a phone in our house atm, so my flatmate rang the number provided and it rang, no one answered but it must be that downstairs flat was connected rather than us.
Need help with this asap!  Undecided
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Wrong Flat connected

Not quite accurate (well it might be) as phoning a number where there isn't a phone connected will still get the ringing tone.
Can you hear the phone ringing downstairs
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Seems awfully quick for it to have been connected as well, normally there is a waiting list.
What was the date you were told you would have it connected?
toms85

Oh really? Might be worrying over nothing :s
Everyone from the flat are at work atm so we don' know for sure, just don't want to cause any annoyance to the lady downstairs, we've just moved in - dont' want her to hate us  Embarrassed
toms85

I got an email pretty much straight after ordering saying 'Your new Home Phone service should be available on 30/10/2012'.
Then I got an email this morning saying that it's ready and gave us a number. The fibre installation isn't until November 13th-ish
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Wrong Flat connected (?)

If you look up your postcode here using the Find an Address option does it list both flats? It may be BT didn't realise there are separate flats and just connected up an existing line in to the building.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
toms85

No, just listed as one.
prichardson
Grafter

When we take your order, we perform address matching. This is designed to look at line plant availability at a specific location, right down to the sub-premise level. It looks at addresses that are completely unconnected, for sites that have cables to them but not hooked to a socket and even stopped lines.
In this case, we will have detected a stopped line, which we can activate the same day, depending on the time we submit the order.
This process is completely reliant of the accuracy of the address you provide us. According to the selection made, we were not provided with the "b" as part of your address.
I can see that you have raised a ticket related to this and our provisioning team will review this accordingly.
toms85

Thanks Phil!
Will this be any problem? I wont have to re-order the package or anything will I?
And do you think that the downstairs flat has been connected rather than us then?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm afraid this is down to you as there's no way Plusnet or BT would be aware that there were separate flats as you didn't give them details that uniquely identified your flat.
I don't know what the process is, but I'd suggest you need to talk to Royal Mail to get them to list the flats separately to avoid similar problems in the future.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi Toms85,
We will need our provisioning team to investigate further.
There are indeed possibilities that the wrong address has been hooked up. Address 1, 1a, 1b are three completely different things and given that your address has a "b", but the selection did not contain this, we just don't know.
I presume you have a BT socket in your property?
If you hook a phone up, does it have a dialtone? (though you wont be able to use it)
There may be a few options available, but it needs to investigation to take place first.
Some of these may involve us raising a fault on the line, others involve us placing a new order for the line which may take as long as a day, or several weeks depending on the need for an engineer. We will communicate more about the action needed, when we know more.
In all scenarios though, you will not need to create a new account with us. We will be able to use the existing account perfectly fine. We will perform all the needed magic internally to reflect any changes caused by fault or orders needed to correct it.
toms85

We do have a BT socket in the flat. I cant check whether we have a dial tone atm, I'm at work, will do when I get home. Don't know if this is of any relevance but we did try and plug in a phone when we moved in and there was no dialtone.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you have a dial tone try 17070 and see if that tells you anything.
toms85

Quote from: jelv
I'm afraid this is down to you as there's no way Plusnet or BT would be aware that there were separate flats as you didn't give them details that uniquely identified your flat.
I don't know what the process is, but I'd suggest you need to talk to Royal Mail to get them to list the flats separately to avoid similar problems in the future.

There were 2 properties on the plusnet availability checker, likewise for BT but they did differentiate and had option a and b.
I added my address manually but I got completely different speed predicted to both 37 listings, the manual address got 5mbps, the other two 38mbps. I've noticed this inconsistency with every ISP I've tried   Undecided