cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will plusnet provide a voip landline service?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 433

Re: Will plusnet provide a voip landline service?

@Batfrog other useful facilities on most voip accounts are missed calls and blocking numbers. For instance if I get a call from a number I dont recognise, I just let it ring. If its a genuine call, they'll likely leave a voicemail, if not, I go into the event list on my voip account, put the number into 'who called me', its usually some spam call, I then just block the number.😀

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

brianwright22
Grafter

My neighbour has had forced on her the new voip voice  system 89 years old .Her Panasonic cordless base station is now plugged into the 'Green' socket of her BT broadband router hub( she lost telephone but broadband was fine and was plugged into the landline). She can receive all calls on the other TWO wireless handsets but when she uses either of  these two handsets to dial out to a known stored number which includes the the area code, it displays 'this number is not recognised'. But this same number dials ok from the Panasonic base station. Unfortunately, Plusnet are not offering voip yet,my neighbour has a BT account. My gut feeling is Plusnet will disappear just like it's Mobile contracts have to EE.

Since the above changes ,it has stopped he Burgler alarm from communicating to its stored phone numbers.I know what is required but she is left with a very substandard working system since the changes.

Offcom say leave over 70's with rg heir landline phone as long as possible)!

peterhr
Rising Star

We have a BT Premium DECT phone system with call blocker - The phone (Base Station) knows the blocked numbers - not the provider.

To go VOIP we moved the number to SipGate - already had a SipGate basic account (no longer sold), move the number to that (which closed the Plusnet FTTC account) - had already installed  Zen Fibre hopefully the move away from the March price escalator.

There was no other way to do it and stay with PlusNet.

For the VOIP - I have a Grandstream ATA - all stored numbers work, the phone also lists missed calls

Batphone
Rising Star

I recently went to a PlusNet switchover event. Well it turns out it was actually hosted by BT. No PluNet reps present AFAIKT.

What I did learn is that PlusNET will NOT be offering digital voice but will be focusing on broadband only. This in addition to them dropping mobile business

I am in a rural area an have not been contacted directly by them yet, but mum, who lives in the city has. Mum also has a lifeline which I learned can be converted to use a mobile SIM. Well at lest its a solution and since mum is in the city, she hopefully will not have a problem. However I do wonder about folks in rural areas who have a poor or no signal?

I was also advised to get battery backup for the router, as unlike the phone line, the digital phone won't work in the event of a power cut.

From what I gather, one can stick with PN for broadband and register with a VOIP provider. However, if the VOIP socket will not work on the PN router, then I guess I will have to purchase a separate VOIP adapter.

I have also heard seperately that PN will be closing their webmail service. Not sure if this is true as I haven't been able to get a confirmation from PN themselves, but I guess PN will end up being just a BB provider.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 274

I have also heard seperately that PN will be closing their webmail service. Not sure if this is true as I haven't been able to get a confirmation from PN themselves, but I guess PN will end up being just a BB provider.

When there is a plan to do something, then there will be a formal announcement. In the meantime any comment is (at best) pure speculation by first line support, possibly confused with the confirmed closure of the JLP email service and the end of legacy email on closed Plusnet accounts.

John
Batphone
Rising Star

Fair enough. I have also just seen a comment re-posted on another thread related to this specific topic that PlusNet email is closed to new customers and to departing customers, so I guess existing customers are still OK for now.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Is-the-email-service-being-withdrawn-or-not/td-p/1924863/page/3

That is the clearest indication I have seen so far. Thank you.

jab1
Legend

I have also just seen a comment re-posted on another thread related to this specific topic that PlusNet email is closed to new customers and to departing customers, so I guess existing customers are still OK for now.

That is the situation as it stands.

John
peterhr
Rising Star

I've  used SipGate voip with plusnet so voip over their broadband is possible.

If you got to plusnet fibre your phone service will stop, apparently you should have 30 days to move your phone number to a voip provider ... as long as they test to see if the number is valid by calling it.

The alternative is to get fibre Internet from another provider - overlapping plusnet, then move your number to voip which will closedown your plusnet account. (This what I did).

I think the changes made by BT group to PlusNet will kill it, customers will move to talktalk, sky, vodaphone, etc.

As for offering VOIP, BT have the service they could easily brand a plusnet offering on the platform they have - but no, they want to dictate how customers will use their services without believing they will leave them completely. They are in cloud cuckoo land.

jab1
Legend

I think the changes made by BT group to PlusNet will kill it, customers will move to talktalk, sky, vodaphone, etc.

Purely IMHO - jumping out of the frying pan, into the fire. Those quoted ISPs are, from my experience with two of them, and what I have read about the third, possibly OK(ish) until you have a problem, and then...

John
peterhr
Rising Star

I went to zenfir internet only, it is £10 a month more than the current PN deal, I may escape the BT price escalator (inflation plus 3.9%) which seems unjustifiable. 

The issue for me was keep my phone number or keep plusnet, I kept the phone number.

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I was on the plusnet voip trial way back, that finished in 2015. It does seem odd that, for an ISP that was running a VOIP trial is for now not offering Voip services at all.

For me, as an ex customer, and possibly a future one, the ideal Voip service would offer an easy way to transfer a number in and out,  with the option of using your own ATA, or other equipment / apps, and not one like BT or SKY that is tied to a specific router.

Talk Talk have an interesting Voip trial underway where you can either use the provided talk talk router, an analogue phone adaptor or an app, or all of those combined , but the rest of it is talk talk

zpeterk
Grafter

The VOIP was just a resale of Gradwell and I seem to remember when they stopped in 2015 you could continue directly on Gradwell. I did this but Gradwell got greedy so I moved to SipGate for free.

peterhr
Rising Star

What gets me on this is the arrogance (of BT group) of if you want to keep something resembling your current product you have to move to another of our brands.

Wrong. We just have to go elsewhere.

BT could easily provide digital voice add on, they just choose not to. (Board level decision)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I completely agree, everything BT takeover gets ruined !,  and "arrogance" is exactly the right description.

It has taken a while, but I am almost complete with my abandoning of being a customer of any BT brand. -

- I moved my BT landline to Pulse8 a few years ago, but have now transferred the number to A&A VoIP.

- I recently left my EE mobile contract after 28 years, due to their stupidity, unfathomable T&Cs, and excessive price rises.

- and finally I've moved all my Plusnet email, website, etc elsewhere, and now a few days from transfer to A&A SOGEA.

jab1
Legend

BT has never abandoned its GPO Telephones roots or practices, despite being 'rebranded' a few times. Maybe now other firms are providing alternatives, they may stagger into the 21st century - but don't hold your breath.

John