cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my new phone service be ex-directory?

ToeKnee60
Grafter

Will my new phone service be ex-directory?

I've just signed up for Unlimited Fibre and Home Phone from Plusnet.
My current phone service with Sky is ex-directory.
Will the number remain ex-directory when Plusnet take it over, or do I have to explicitly request this?
13 REPLIES 13
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: Will my new phone service be ex-directory?

Yes, it's done like for like.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ToeKnee60
Grafter

That's good news.  Smiley
Thanks Mike.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's not like-for-like, all orders are placed ex-directory for residential customers.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Ben,
That is an interesting statement!!
Is this made known in the sign-up process / FAQ?  I guess that people's expectation is that one has to elect to be ex-directory, not elect to be included in the directory (if such an option exists?).
Has this practise changed in recent times?  I migrated my number into PN a while ago and having just checked, I'm still directory listed.  Would one be correct to presume that if...
Quote from: Ben
?.. all orders are placed ex-directory for residential customers.

This includes transfers and that lines currently listed are ordered ex-directory - at least now if not previously?  If this is correct, would this lead to a previous listing being removed?
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

Morning,
What we provide
The service we agree to give you includes:
installation or takeover and rental of a fixed Plusnet telephone line;
the facility to make or receive a phone calls including the ability to send or receive information, for example, from computers using your telephone line;
we will provide you with a Call Allowance and;
one phone number for each fixed telephone line that you rent from us, which we will make ex-directory unless you tell us not to.
All automated orders are placed ex-directory.  It's not done like for like.
We place all order ex-directory due to various reasons, the main being data security concerns.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi James,
Thank you for digging out the journey text, most helpful.  Has this changed within the last 3-4 years or does taking over a directory listed number (as described) NOT remove the existing listing?  Am not trying to be difficult here, just understand / manage expectations.
Quote from: James
which we will make ex-directory unless you tell us not to.

Putting piracy first (to say nothing of the cost of listing non-BT Retail numbers in the BT Phone Book) is in these days the right approach.  However there has apparently been a change in process / practise since my line was migrated in or the ex-directory status applied to inwardly migrated lines is not culling historical directory listings.  Are you able to advise if the process changed or is it not delivering its intent?
Finally how would one "tell you not too" - is there a choice option in the sign-up journey?
Cheers,
Kevin

James
Grafter

Hi Kevin,
It changed around a couple of years ago, I think it was early 2012. I would have expected your phone line to have become ex directory if the order was placed after then, unless we placed it manually.
Re: how to contact us, I'm just working with our legal team to make a couple of small changes to the phone terms to clarify that very statement - it's a ticket via the help assistant.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

James,
Thank you for the clarifications and comprehensive answer.
Kevin

suebuckby
Grafter

Hi
It actually depends if your number has been sold on, I myself have experienced and still experience people ringing my number yet shouldnt be able to, My ADVICE is ensure you list your number with the telephone preference service which is government regulated do NOT trust your service provider
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sue - You've misinterpreted the meaning of "ex-directory".  It simply means that you're not in the Phone Book and, if someone knows your name, they can't look you up.  This won't stop marketing calls and, as you point out, once your name and number are on a marketing list only registering with the TPS will affect calls from those that have bought your name and number.
Nothing stops auto-diallers from abroad of course...
Apprentice
Grafter

Quote from: James
Morning,
What we provide
<snip>
one phone number for each fixed telephone line that you rent from us, which we will make ex-directory unless you tell us not to.

Can this be switched over anytime at the customer's request and if so is there an extra charge applied by PN for their customer to be included in the BT directory/phone book when the next new version is printed?
Will PN customers then get a free BT directory once they are included in it or is that just for BT phone line rental customers?
James
Grafter

Hi Alastair,
Every customer gets a BT Phone Book and a customer can request to have their directory listing changed without penalty.
Apprentice
Grafter

Thanks James.
Checked with BT and the latest phone books are getting - if the sub contractors can be bothered - delivered to my area (postcode) by the 22nd December no less.