cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't a landline number be retained

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Why can't a landline number be retained

My sister-in-law wanted to move from Talk-Talk to plusnet for broadband and phone,  she was halfway through the order when a message came up that she could not keep existing landline number if she moved to plusnet.  This was a deal breaker for her as she has had existing landline number for many years and it would be complicated to let everyone know new number.

She went on live chat to query the landline number and was told 'they cannot move some numbers' - but I have read on various sites that ISP's are now getting into the habit of issuing new numbers to new customers and not trying to 'port' their old number.  She is not moving house, just wanted to change ISP - is this a common thing with plusnet these days to just issue new phone numbers ?  If it is I am guessing that many people do not make the change when told they will get a new number, this must be losing plusnet many prospective new customers.....

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Why can't a landline number be retained

@wotsup  I haven't read THIS guidance from OFCOM, but it may answer your query?

John
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @ wotsup,

Thanks for getting in touch, I appreciate your query.

Retaining a landline number when switching is normally possible, however it is not always successful. The previous provider may choose not to relinquish the number and there can be issues if the number has previously been switched, depending upon the history and original exchange. If the number had been moved to a different address at some point in the past and then went to Talk Talk it may not be possible to bring the number back, as it can only go back to its exchange of origin.

From the sound of it the issue may be an exchange one however I'd suggest your sister-in-law speaks to Talk Talk to see if there are any other issues.

Thanks - Tahir

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@LordFoul 

Is there not a legal obligation under Ofcom rules to allow phone number porting? In cases like this surely talking about changing exchanges is irrelevant?

Looking around the Internet makes me question whether this problem arises because of the way that ISPs such as Plusnet manage the transfer. I can see if an attempt is made to transfer phone and broadband  accounts separately then things can go wrong. If the phone account is transferred first then the losing ISP will refuse the phone number transfer as the line is still being used to provide a broadband service. Do it the other way around and all is well.

Just a theory!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@LordFoul , @Baldrick1 As I said in my original reply, the OFCOM guidance is clearly available. As I also said, I haven't read it, but my understanding is that if the switch is an ISP change only, and the customer is not moving properties, then, except in a few isolated instances, the losing provider MUST allow the transfer.

John
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

It does sound like the issue was experienced online first @ Baldrick, suggesting the initial checks deemed it not possible. The online process assumes a simultaneous provision.

The information given on the phone will have been run past the line availability query and should have been more specific.

Thanks - LF

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@LordFoul 

So as the computer says no that's the end of the Ofcom rules?  

Resistance is useless! (I have found the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy on Britbox). 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Actually, @Baldrick1 , you could be correct.Wink . However, I've just had another thought - TT are probably an LLU provider, which means someone would have to physically move the line from their equipment back to the BT boards, and they can't be bothered.

John
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for all the replies, I read that Ofcom thing before and it seemed that the ISP/phone provider you were moving from had to allow the number to move to the company you were moving to,. However the guy on Plusnet live chat was pretty sure that the line could not be moved so Sis-in-law decided not to change as too many people have her existing number.  As I said she wanted to move broadband and phone and was staying in same house so I was a bit mystified why number could not be retained - I suggested she try plusnet as she has had problems with TT...

jab1
Legend

@wotsup The OFCOM 'guidance' trumps whatever the PN guy says, but too many of the staff these days are poorly trained/only repeat what the computer says, without actually checking. As you say, that has lost PN a customer, but that's their own fault.

John