cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I hearing nothing about line install? Is this normal??

qqdc4444

Why am I hearing nothing about line install? Is this normal??

I was told my line would be installed Monday Jul 14th,  between 1pm and 6pm.
We waited in the whole afternoon, but no-one turned up. We also did not receive any phone call, SMS or email to explain why.
(Naturally I have already contact PlusNet support who tell me it will be at least 38 hours before they get round to it... Ironically I went with PlusNet after being told the service was good.)
Just wondering if I'd misunderstood and the line has been connected, and we did not need to be in the house? But, if so, why have I had no letter telling us what our landline phone number is, or confirming that broadband setup is now progressing.
23 REPLIES 23
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Why am I hearing nothing about line install? Is this normal??

Hi qqdc4444,
I've just tried to call you, however, there was no answer. I'm very sorry to hear an engineer didn't attend on Monday.
I've had a look into your account and unfortunately the system failed to place your order successfully so the appointment was not booked into Openreach's systems.
I've now manually placed the order for both your phone line to be installed and for broadband and the engineer is due to attend on 25/07/2014 between 8AM and 1PM (this was the earliest available appointment). If this isn't suitable please get back in touch and we can look at changing this.
Again, apologies for the delay and the inconvenience caused. I have refunded the money you paid for the phone line installation and this should be back in your account within the next 7-10 working days.
qqdc4444

Thanks for the reply; the refund partially helps my frustration, but even better would be if we could get some temporary internet. Is it possible to lend us a mobile wifi router that we could use for the 2-3 weeks we wait for broadband to be connected? (It does not appear to be something I could get as an individual, even spending the £50 refund on it, as they all require 2 year contracts. But I'm sure a big company like PlusNet will have this kind of thing available?)
Or is there anyway to arrange the engineer to come earlier, and get around this extra two week delay?
Thanks so much for your help, and I really appreciate any effort you can make.
Darren
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've spoken to Openreach and unfortunately the earliest available appointment in your area is next Friday which it is booked in for and we're unable to fast-track this.
As we are not a mobile provider we do not sell/have mobile WiFi dongles/routers so we would be unable to supply this. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Linn
I've had a look into your account and unfortunately the system failed to place your order successfully so the appointment was not booked into Openreach's systems.

Linn, When an order has not been processed successfully, does the system not flag this up ?
Quote from: qqdc4444
I was told my line would be installed Monday Jul 14th,  between 1pm and 6pm.
We waited in the whole afternoon, but no-one turned up. We also did not receive any phone call, SMS or email to explain why.

Hi qqdc4444, welcome to the forum
If you have had any financial loss ( time of work)  due to the problem at Plusnet's end , i would recommend raising a complaint
http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/complaints_code_of_practice.shtml
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Is it possible to lend us a mobile wifi router that we could use for the 2-3 weeks we wait for broadband to be connected? (It does not appear to be something I could get as an individual, even spending the £50 refund on it, as they all require 2 year contracts
I realise it's not ideal for you to have to spend your own money but you can get an unlocked mobile wifi router for less than £50. I have one of these which I use when on holiday in Portugal
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-M5350-Unlocked-21-6Mbps-Internal/dp/B00B7TGVP6
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/broadband-sat-nav-phones/mobile-phones-broadband/mobile-broadband/tp-l...
Then all you need is a PAYG mobile broadband sim or an existing SIM e.g
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/broadband-sat-nav-phones/mobile-phones-broadband/mobile-broadband/thre...
or perhaps a free giffgaff sim and one of their gigabags http://giffgaff.com/goodybags/500mb-mobile-broadband.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: I
Linn, When an order has not been processed successfully, does the system not flag this up ?

Unfortunately, no. Otherwise the OP would've been notified of this. When the system fails to place the order there's nothing to say that it's "failed" because it was never placed in the first place.
This is something that will change when the new provisioning system is put in place and changes in the ordering system will be implemented to stop this scenario from happening.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Is there a time frame for this?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

We signed up for Plusnet a couple of weeks ago  as the advert led me to believe that the line would be installed in about 5 days but since then we've received nothing but texts & emails telling us that our order has been delayed but Plusnet can't tell us why, apart from it being down to Openreach.
When we joined Virgin we were connected in 3 days from signing up but unfortunately we're moving to a non-Virgin area.
Our new house is a new-build on an estate so I would have expected  the phone line to be pre-installed to the property & just needing connecting at the exchange end & or street cabinet.
It's the lack of information that we find annoying with Plusnet not knowing what Openreach's problem is.
All we want to know is how long do we have to wait & what the problem is.
We assumed that 2 weeks would have been sufficient time to get both phone & broadband  installed & although we hardly use the landline, not having broadband's not acceptable in this day & age so we'll have to tether our laptops to our mobile phones.
Virgin Media's unlimited mobile data package  will bale us out yet again.
Not a very good start.
caravanj
Aspiring Pro

Well at least we've now had an explanation which is that Openreach think that there isn't any ducting from the street junction box to the house but in fact there is.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Afternoon all,
@Strat - Nothing by way of time frames just yet, this is a massive overhaul to the provisioning system so it will be going ahead as soon as possible due to all the benefits it will deliver.
@caravanj - Apologies for the lack of updates, given that the order has gone into planning for additional works, it is tough to get a clear view of what's happening at any given time within the suppliers system. Hopefully you should have further updates and good news on this soon though and then the installation can be appointed with with.
caravanj
Aspiring Pro

All the ducting is in place & has been for months so I can't see why Openreach would think otherwise.
The site utiltiy contractor hasn't got a Cobra long enough to reach the underground junction box & said  he would have expected  Openreach to pull the cable through.
I'm quite capable of locating the junction box, hiring a Cobra for an hour & pulling some cable through myself.
What's annoying us is the almost daily automated  text saying that our order had been delayed which we already know.
The main issue is that we have absolutely no knowledge of any communication between Plusnet & Openreach so as far as we know, Openreach may still think there's no ducting to the property but if they used any basic commonsense they could easily go & look & see that there is.
I think it would be better for Plusnet to ditch the statement that lines will be installed in around 4 to 5 days & just say that they haven't a clue when when the line will be installed as it's totally out of their control.
caravanj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Adam
Afternoon all,
@caravanj - Apologies for the lack of updates, given that the order has gone into planning for additional works, it is tough to get a clear view of what's happening at any given time within the suppliers system. Hopefully you should have further updates and good news on this soon though and then the installation can be appointed with with.

I'm beginning to sound like a stuck record & I'm even starting to annoy myself so I apologise to other forum members who are probably fed up with me banging on about our line installation problem.
Please note that there aren't any additional works that need doing.
There's a main BT feed into the estate,  there's a BT junction box 50 metres from our house, there's ducting from the junction box to the house & the neighbours have working phone lines so what exactly do Openreach think still needs to be done?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Caravan,
From what I can see in the Openreach system, there should have been an attendance from an engineer this afternoon to inspect the trunking and everything that would be required to provide the service.
There was an update at 13:16 to show attendance so we would need to see what the assessment comes back with over the course of the next 12-24 hours which will hopefully give us a date for work and possibly completion of the provision.
You should expect an update to the support ticket regarding this over due course.
caravanj
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Adam C, fingers crossed then.