cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Don't You Want My Custom, Neil Armstrong (Products Director, PlusNet)?

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Why Don't You Want My Custom, Neil Armstrong (Products Director, PlusNet)?

One thing overlooked is BT supply a paper bill which has to be printed and posted. As far as I know PN do not so the money saved on printing and posting should make up any difference in DD v Credit card.
zubel
Community Veteran

But, that money has already been saved in offering the customer a lower-priced line rental and calls deal  Huh
And if I recall, the 0800 number was dropped in favour of offering the 0114 number, which is free on nearly all mobile tariffs (or at least in inclusive minutes) unlike an 0800 number which you actually have to pay for?
B.
zubel
Community Veteran

I meant that the "idea" of having the 0800 number was dropped, but you get my point Smiley
B.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Also it was an 0845 number (which is still available), not an 0870 number.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Bob,
I'm sorry that you don't appreciate my writing style.
I'm not suggesting that salaries would have to be cut to allow 0800 access, but that we would need to increase our home phone charges.  The majoirty of our services are designed very carefully to ensure that our customers are getting a good deal - there's isn't an area we can just take from as you are suggesting.

James/ Gloria/whoever
Is that an official PlusNet view, or a personal one?
James
Grafter

An educated opinion from someone working from PlusNet?
I'm really not sure what you expect me to say.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Mon vieux James,
I only ask again is that an 'official' reply?
I was expecting a reply from Mark at a later stage.
[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin):  On the subject of education, full quote of preceding post removed as per the link:rules. ]
Mark
Grafter

Hallo old Mark,

Hi Bob. Smiley
You know I don't hasten to praise BT, but at least they do provide a free service.

Thats absolutely true. However they also provide a much more expensive phone service and rental charges. Wink
I guess that they are keen to save as much as they can.

All businesses want to save money. We also want our customers to save money whilst providing a top notch service with a competitive pricing structure. I believe we do that and is why our Home Phone service is as popular as it is.
Has PlusNet costed it.

Absolutely and extensively. It would be foolish not to.
PlusNet would make sure that they are not guided by that well known fictional Scrooge.

We will never adopt a "Scrooge" approach, although you may hear the odd Bah Humbug out of me at the appropriate time of year.  We provide quality products and services which cost in, provide value and are profitable and sustainable. It would be business suicide to do otherwise. We try to offer our customers the best possible solutions and services and I honestly believe that this is what we are doing right now.
Lets face it. Would customers want the best possible pricing options for our Home phone products, whereby the benefit, each and every time they use the phone or pay extra in the rare event that they have a line fault so that they can save a few pence on a call to the support team?
I genuinely believe the answer to that one to be the former.
We have had little or no demand for a free phone support line from our customer base for home phone other than the comments in this thread. I dont believe there is sufficient demand for this right now. Should there be demand then as always we will respond. Customer feedback drives us and always will.
Thanks for the comments Bob. I hope I have addressed your feedback adequatley.

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Mark,
Thanks for your reply.
Since last October I have had a couple of local line faults which I dealt with using BT's 151.
It was not too easy even though I have some knowledge of how to approach those problems.
I was concerned that it could  not be easy for a third party to deal with BT as BT is nowadays. It would be doubly difficult if I had to deal with the problem via PlusNet with me not being able to use a freephone number. I may be wrong but I beleive that PlusNet's knowledge of the problems of local cable networks etc would not perhaps satisfy me.
Still I must not get too excited, I am sorry but I feel I need to stay with my present arrangements.
Thanks again for your response,
regards,
Bob
John_Essex
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
I was concerned that it could  not be easy for a third party to deal with BT as BT is nowadays.

My own opinion is that I think it will be easier to deal with Plusnet should you have a fault with your phone.
Last time I dealt with BT you get a different place and a different person every time you call.
At least Plusnet are just in one place and should be able to trace your issues better than BT seem to be able to.
Do hope I'm not proved wrong should my line ever go faulty.  Wink
Bob_Milton
Grafter

[quote="Johnessex"]My own opinion is that I think it will be easier to deal with Plusnet should you have a fault with your phone.
Last time I dealt with BT you get a different place and a different person every time you call.
At least Plusnet are just in one place and should be able to trace your issues better than BT seem to be able to.
Do hope I'm not proved wrong should my line ever go faulty.   Wink

John,
I beleive that you used to work for BT, as I did.
I agree with you that it is difficult dealing with BT.
But --- I need to be convinced that Plusnet are sufficiently au fait to deal with problems which can be encountered with faults in the local cable network. It is likely that PlusNet could be taken in by BT assuring them that all is OK when it is not. It is my current experience that BT deny that there is a problem when in fact one exists. Or they crash in to a cabinet and start disconnecting and testing in all directions when they are looking for a noise fault. Please beleive me, they do. I guess you would agree that method is not the best way to find a fault of that nature.
Perhaps my trouble is that when I was a lineman (about 57 years ago) I would have had my **** kicked if I went about fault finding like that. (all together now--- "fings aint wot they used to be").
You may have seen some photos recently on a topic in these forums which showed how contractors work/operate in the network. I shuddered when I saw them performing in the pavement outside where I live a little while ago. There is a fair share of the dreaded aluminium conductors in the cables here as well, (built for noisy h/r's). It is not encouraging.
I too hope you don't have any problems with your local line network. But please don't lose any sleep it may never happen.
[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin):  Please take a few minutes to read the Forum Rules, about posting, full quotes of the preceding post. ]
Moderators note by rogerloxton: Fixed quote tag
John_Essex
Grafter

John,
I beleive that you used to work for BT, as I did.

Yes thats correct. I worked for them for 32 years man and boy  Wink
I left over 14 years ago when they were making offers that just couldn't be refused and I also didn't like the way it was starting to be run.
I think most of the original "real Engineers" have now gone and like you I doubt that the way things are done now just would not have happened in the past.
Fingers crossed then that my line never goes faulty.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

John,
You said,
"Yes thats correct. I worked for them for 32 years man and boy"
I wonder if there are any more parallels in our *careers*. Did you work on transmission as I did for quite a while. If you did you will understand when someone says,
" You can always tell a transmission man ---- but you can't tell him much".
John_Essex
Grafter

I wonder if there are any more parallels in our *careers*. Did you work on transmission as I did for quite a while. If you did you will understand when someone says,
" You can always tell a transmission man ---- but you can't tell him much".

Quick history.
1962 Y2YC (apprentice for those non BT reading this)
1964 Subs app maintenance and auto Maintenance
1965 to 1971 Transmission (Audio VF and Carrier)
1971 Promoted the the then rank of AEE ran Telegraph workshop and telegraph field Maintenance. 1974 Ran the Repair Service Control in Dial House. 1977 Took over "Deansgate and "Tandem" exchanges in Manchester. 1982 Ran Manchester 'E' repeater station and Manchester Telex exchange in York St.
1986 Took over the North West Aerial rigging group covering from Sutton Common to Carlise, Isle of man and assisting Northern Ireland.
1994 Sat in hotel on Isle of Man on a Sunday afternoon still working and decided to accept the offer and left.
1994 until now Lap of luxury  Wink
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: glloyd
One thing overlooked is BT supply a paper bill which has to be printed and posted. As far as I know PN do not so the money saved on printing and posting should make up any difference in DD v Credit card.

It's a fair few years since I last had a paper bill from BT. Just get email saying quarterly bill is available and will be taken from my bank account ( by DD) in 14 days time.
Albeit I don't use phone a lot I'm warming to the £9.99 deal.