Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who to report phoneline faults to ?

brendajorsler
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Who to report phoneline faults to ?

As I have been unable to get a MAC code from BT I have decided to have Plusnet give me a new telephone number and take over my phone in a couple of weeks time.
If my telephone stops working who do I report a fault to ?  Do I still call BT or does it get reported to PLUSNET ?
I don't use a mobile phone much and would not know who I contact if the land line doesn't work.  I have been lucky not to have had too many phone line problem with BT, so will this continue to be BT phone lines ?
I am housebound and need to have my land line and I am worried if having a new line will cause me any problems.
Thank you
12 REPLIES 12
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Who to report phoneline faults to ?

Once Plusnet are your phone provider you report any fault to them and they will work with BT Openreach to fix as needed.
Same answer as a few weeks ago by the way  Wink
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134696.msg1179601.html#msg1179601
brendajorsler
Rising Star

Many thanks for the reply.
When I asked before I was supposed to keep my BT number.  But today I asked for my phone to be taken over by Plusnet as BT were not managing to give me the MAC code that I requested 2 weeks ago.  So I wasn't sure if it would be the same fault reporting procedure now that I will be getting a new Plusnet number.
Sorry if the question was similar...I just wanted to make sure now the phone line is going to be changed.
Thank you
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Cheeky question - your not on  a BT basics package are you?
Happy new year and belated welcome to the forum  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

A number of points...
Has BT told you why they are not providing a MAC?  Under previous Ofcom rules, there are no grounds for not supplying a MAC when requested.  Under changes introduced in Sept 2014 it should be possible to migrate broadband services without a MAC.
Why are you expecting to get a new phone number from PlusNET rather than retaining your existing number?  Again under Ofcom rules, the losing CP is obliged to facilitate the migration of the phone number.
However if you are on BT Basic, you would not be the first to have run into BT Retail's obstruction to such users migrating away.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

brendajorsler
Rising Star

I have been with B.T. for 45 years...went on to B.T. 'dial up' as soon as it was available and then once broadband was up and running I went on to that.  I have had various 'packages' including 'infinity' and my latest contract was broadband with just 10 gb bandwidth a month with speeds of around 2.5 mbps. and anytime calls on my landline.
When I applied on 22nd Dec for my MAC code I was told it would take 5 days to email it to me.  When nothing came I asked again and was told that no request had been made for the MAC code and that they would need to generate a new one (7 days)
I phoned plusnet and was told that if I was not bothered at having a new phone number they could do without a MAC code and so I agreed.  I was told that I could not keep my old number without a MAC code.  So my service starts on 15th Jan.
I suspect that some time next week I will probably get the code from B.T. but really don't want to have to rely on it.
I would have preferred to keep my old number but was told that I would have to have a new number for my services to start on 15th Jan (that was the date that I was given a couple of weeks ago when I paid my line rental and broadband to plusnet)
The only plus to having a new phone number is that I shall be a little more guarded who I give it to as I get plenty of 'cold calls' even though I signed up to the telephone preference service.
p.s. Is there a facility to get 'caller display' with plusnet.  I had it with B.T. but it has now become a pay for service (£1.75 a month)
pwatson
Rising Star

I'm very puzzled by your broadband history...
5th December
Quote from: mummy
I have just started using PlusNet broadband and phone

9th December
I am due to be 'switched over' to plusnet on 16th Jan

1st Jan
When I applied on 22nd Dec for my MAC ...  So my service starts on 15th Jan.

Whatever has gone on so far, by getting a new line and broadband service from PN you will not have actually cancelled your BT services.  You will have two separate lines with two separate internet connections running over them.  When you do cancel your BT broadband service you will be charged £30 for ceasing the service from them without migrating away plus and remaining contract fees (if there are any).
I'm not sure that the advice you've received was in your best interest...
ian007jen
Rising Star

'caller display

Yep....£0.99/month ........once you phone line is active goto http://www.plus.net/plustalk/index.php?page=choose_account&?membermenu=phonecalls and add the "feature"
Ian
brendajorsler
Rising Star

Thanks pwatson.
My first comment should have read 'I have joined plusnet and ordered broadband and phone' sorry.
I think (hope) that the arrangements are o.k.
I placed my order with plusnet at the beginning of December.
My 12 month B.T. broadband contract expires 16th January
I was told by plusnet to call B.T. and ask for my MAC code on the 22nd December and tell them that I am being switched over to plusnet on 16 January and that I will no longer want broadband or telephone from B.T. from that date.
I am hoping that B.T. will cut off my services on 16th Jan and that plusnet will provide the broadband and landline on that same day.  As I had fulfilled my B.T. 12 month contract there won't be any 'exit fees' and I am not sure what the £30 fee is for.
I can see why I stuck with the same provider for all these years.  It is very complicated.
I hope that I have done everything correctly as this was all advised by plusnet.  I think that I shall stop my monthly direct debit to B.T. as I am not going to pay them any fees other than what I owe them for my broadband connection and phone line.  In fact, as they take the rental in advance for the line I reckon that they may owe me something !!!
brendajorsler
Rising Star

ian007jen  Many thanks that is a lot less than B.T. are charging.  It used to be a free service.
pwatson
Rising Star

The normal method for a migration like this is:
1.  Migrate broadband from BT to Plusnet (a MAC is needed for this)
2.  Plusnet take over the phone line (normally two weeks after the broadband migration)

If a MAC isn't used at the first step BT charge £30 to cease broadband on your line. Moving the phone line is not dependent on a MAC but will cease broadband if it hasn't moved over already, thereby triggering the cease fee.
It sounds to me that you are the process of ceasing your line, possibly through a misuse of home moving processes, and then reproviding with Plusnet and I think it would be worth contacting Plusnet to find out what is actually going to happen to ensure that their is no risk of a cease fee applying.
Hope I've got this wrong and that the move goes smoothly and without cost to you.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: pwatson

If a MAC isn't used at the first step BT charge £30 to cease broadband on your line.

If BT try to charge for a broadband cease, tell them that they are not entitled because they failed to provide the MAC within the required timescale.
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/internet/broadband-switching/switching-broadband-provider/
Your existing ISP must provide the MAC to you within five working days and it’s valid for a period of 30 days.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
mpotter
Grafter

If they don't go away write to Gavin the CEO using his email address available on http://ceoemail.com and if an email affirming your rights doesn't work use the three letter process at http://getoutofdebtfree.org and for further assistance search for "beat the bailiffs Steven Spy site:facebook.com". Don't bother the ombudsman even if you're issued with a deadlock letter though, they can't and won't help you with a debt from a previous provider!