cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's this on my phone line?

Ellister
Hooked

What's this on my phone line?

There's a rectangle box with rounded edges on my phone line, by where the line enters the house. Anyway it's fell off the wall, no damage or anything, it looks like it was glued on.

It's really old and it's always stopped the front door from fully opening, so I'm thinking of replacing it with a newer smaller version. Any idea what to replace it with and how hard it would be? It looks like it'll fall to bits if I attempt to open it.

5 REPLIES 5
Ellister
Hooked

Re: What's this on my phone line?

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Ellister 

Welcome to the forums.

Is it a sort of grey in colour with wires coming out both sides. and is it before your Master socket?

If so you must not touch it, you need to report it for a repair/replacement. I have one here its where the phone line used to come into the property, its pretty old, the other side has wires going to the Master BT socket. 

I assume as you are with PlusNet your phone service comes via them, so you need to let them know.

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Now seen your photo, came in while I was typing my other message, and you need to get OpenReach engineer out to fix it, via PlusNet. If is broken.

Ellister
Hooked

It's not broken... Just ugly and in a stupid place. The plastic is starting to degrade a little though.

I'll report it if it gets too brittle.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Ellister 

As it's on the Openreach side of the master socket you shouldn't change it. However there's nothing to stop you glueing it back on the wall and let's face it for a more permanent job no-one would know if the top was taken off and without touching any wires it was screwed to the wall.

If you call out Openreach then when they get around to changing it/glueing it back on the wall (their choice as it's their property) there's a risk that you could be charged.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'