cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the cost to a new homeowner if the previous owner was with Plusnet?

lyndonp
Grafter

What is the cost to a new homeowner if the previous owner was with Plusnet?

My sister-in-law is going to be completing the purchase of her mothers house in the next month or so. Currently the phone is with BT and there is no broadband, but she wishes to have Plusnet broadband and phone.
Now, from what I understand, BT will probably charge her something like £75 to change for the re-connection/name change on the change of house owner - is that right?
If she got broadband and the phone moved to Plusnet before the purchase is completed, would she have any additional charges after the purchase from Plusnet?
We don't really want to have to pay BT anymore than is necessary, particularly as she will move the phone and take out broadband with Plusnet as soon as possible!
(She also has the Power of Attorney  over her mother's financial affairs if that is any help in this case)
Any advice on the best way to go about this would be greatly appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11
mal0z
Grafter

Re: What is the cost to a new homeowner if the previous owner was with Plusnet?

The PN staff will sort this out for you, but they are unlikely to read this here until Monday morning - if you can wait that long.
I suggest you raise a ticket on your account and link to this posting.
hope all goes well.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
If your sister-in-law arranges a transfer to Plusnet without making any changes on the BT side of things this will work fine, without any additional charges.
lyndonp
Grafter

Thanks Mand. Will sort her out then!  Smiley
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Mand
Hi there,
If your sister-in-law arranges a transfer to Plusnet without making any changes on the BT side of things this will work fine, without any additional charges.

Story to butt in so late. Wink
Just for argument's sake, would either BT or PN charge, if for some reason someone wanted to tranfer their line back to BT>
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lucerne,
Transfer orders (for existing phone lines that are working) are free in both directions.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Thanks for that info, Mand and Matt.
Some  more questions are
....I am on a 12 mth contract with BT. If I transfer mid term, I suppose BT will charge me the balance of the term?
....I have so far been wary of moving away from BT to other providers, because of tales of customers' problems in getting faults dealt with.
If I were with PN how would line faults be handled?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I've had to call Plusnet about line faults on 2 different lines and both have been sorted very quickly.  One I phoned about 8pm on a Friday night, and an engineer called in about 2pm on the following day to say he'd repaired a dodgy joint in the green box and just wanted to check it was ok.  The other was cured by the automatic tests. 
I've had 1 dealing with BT and it took 2 calls to them at about an hour each to get them to arrange an engineer to come out 3 days later, who was never actually booked.
So from my experience Plusnet are far superior.  Once you have got to booking an engineer it is the same systems the engineer are booked through, and the same people who come to you.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mand
Grafter

@lucerne, you'd need to check the specifics with BT, but generally you'd need to pay up if you move mid-term.
lyndonp
Grafter

My sister-in-law took out PN broadband and swapped the phone to PN as wel last year. No complaints, everything went well and still does.
The question is, the BT phone book still has the phone number in  her father's name.
Can we get that changed, and how please? Will there be a cost for it (hopefully not!  Smiley )
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We can do, yes and as far as I know that's free. Just pop a ticket in and we'll get it sorted for you, though it'll not be updated until the new phone books are sent out.
Hope that helps.
lyndonp
Grafter

Thanks Matt. I'll get her to pop a ticket in.