cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does Plusnet do with blocked numbers?

FIXED
Helenatplunet
Hooked

What does Plusnet do with blocked numbers?

Does anyone know if Plusnet collect all the numbers we report as spam/scammers and do anything with them.

If you get enough people reporting a particular number could it be blocked from all of Plusnet?

I get a few scam call and I don't mind stringing them along for 5 minutes and wasting their time (its 5 minutes less they can try to scam someone else) but if I thought the number would get blocked for everyone I'd be more likely to 1572 it!.

3 REPLIES 3
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: What does Plusnet do with blocked numbers?

Fix

Hi there @Helenatplunet

The blocked list is actually collated by Openreach as the plusnet protect service, BT call guardian and other supplier equivalents are all the same 'choose to divert' service.

As far as I am aware, they analyse the blacklisted numbers across the board and build the database from this blacklist.

For example if one number is flagged as being blacklisted by 2000 customers, It will get added to this list.

In theory, the more people use the service and block numbers, the higher the chance the scammer gets blocked off wholesale.

Helenatplunet
Hooked

Thank you, that's good to know, I can start to use the divert service, lets hope they can block more of the spammers!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fingers crossed!

Let us know if you have any further queries.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet