cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird weird phone calls

brennanthurston
Grafter

Weird weird phone calls

I keep receiving weird phone calls although our number is off directory and registered with the whatstheirname agency to do with cold calls.

The weird thing this time round was that the caller asked for the previous owner by name, had our phone number and gave the postcode of another property the previous owner has.

I looked up the number and found that other people had similar problems.

I can deal with cold callers, no prob.

What I would like to understand is how the combination of OUR number, name of previous owner plus yet another postcode can be matched by the caller who is obviously some Asian guy, with the background noise hinting at some call center thought the number seemed to be a mobile one.

Any suggestionsHuh?Huh

<07856 525482>

Jule

21 REPLIES 21
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Weird weird phone calls

Sounds like they have picked up the previous owner's contact details thru a credit search -might be debt collection activity?

brennanthurston
Grafter

MY phone number (new)? This address under his name? AND a completely different postcode, related to his portfolio????

Weird....

jule

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Looking on other forums, the way that debt collection agencies get details is a never ending source of amazement - the problem is, that they frequently buy up debts for a fraction of their value then pursue relentlessly via any avenue they can think of. Can imagine that they got your (new)phone number thru connection with the address (even tho you are ex directory?) -obviously the addy will be linked to the former owner as will the post code of the other property.

They really are an unpleasant group of people -I briefly had dealings when my wife's name got linked (erroneously) to a mobile phone account -took nearly 6 months to shake them off.!!Angry

brennanthurston
Grafter

Doesn't work like that. I have never had a mortgage or debts or overdraft or credit in my life. To me cash means cash and if I can't afford it I won't buy it.

See? Can't be.....btw they didn't know my name.

Jule

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

No -didn't mean that they were after you at all......these scumbags just use any method possible to find the person who apparently owes the debt -may be nothing to do with the previous owner/occupier either !! They frequent just "carpet bomb" an area with demands for people with a similar /same name

brennanthurston
Grafter

Here's another one:

0209 0256779

I think I'll post every single strange or nuisance call on here. We might find a pattern or it may help other users.

Jule

brennanthurston
Grafter

Seems like I'm in high demand:

Jule

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Not really.....if I do a "1471" after the calls I get sometimes 3 or 4 times a day, the majority of numbers left are "nonsense" numbers. eg 000543987 on Thursday!!

As an aside, I've noticed that there are more of these spoofed numbers now than " we do not have the caller's number to return the call" type calls -wonder why ?Huh

wildthing666
Grafter

Phone company's reuse numbers if they have a number they will use it even if someone has reported it to the provider as getting unsolicited calls. I don't have a phone connected to my line if I want to contact someone they get an email they can ring the hell out of the number it never gets answered because I pulled the phone out after a week of unsolicited calls from debt collection agency but in a previous property I used to wind them up, my favourites been the faulty towers waiter and the assassination hotline. Had loads of fun with them and it kept some on the line for ages

brennanthurston
Grafter

Is it just about possible that Plusnet might sell telephone numbers??????

here's another one:

Never had similar problems with TalkTalk. (only TT themselves which I solved by sticking to German....)

Jule

brennanthurston
Grafter

And my old friends, the Microsoft scam:

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Amazingly enough - I had a missed call from 03334432588 @ 11:55 his morning .Won't bother to phone them back then!Grin

Altho' checking on that number seems to be a home improvements company based in Swansea?Huh

brennanthurston
Grafter

Two more:

Yesterday

And today my favourite lot from Swansea who are as thick as a lorry load of planks

01792 735005

@davidj66

The Swansea lot has many numbers. Utter cockroaches.

Jule

brennanthurston
Grafter

Compo lot out in full force....

0001618 269 384

Jule