cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are about to cease your phone line scam?

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

We are about to cease your phone line scam?

I've just received a recorded message "we are BT and are about to cease your phone line today, press one....." in an american accent. Is this the latest scam? 02861084210

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
7 REPLIES 7
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: We are about to cease your phone line scam?

Hi @PeterLoftus,

I can confirm that this was a scam call. If you've not done so already, it might be worth looking into adding Plusnet Call Protect to your line. This is a free call feature that automatically blocks calls from known nuisance callers and you can also choose to block individual numbers and types of numbers (e.g. international or withheld numbers.)

If you'd like more information on Call Protect, please see the page here. This page also includes a link to add Call Protect to your account.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I just wonder what personal details they were after - there must be some and an ulterior motive.

I would have carried on and just given them fake details.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I had a series of similar calls about 2 months ago; They claimed they were from BT Technical Dept and that my internet connection was compromised so I would be disconnected!!

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I had one about 6 months back to my parents - the old "We're from BT, there is a problem with your internet connection".

I knew there wasn't, and this is on our PlusNet connection. So I like to question them:

Me: What problem have you identified? Who is my ISP?
Them: BT.
Me: What division of BT are you from, there are three I believe. (I didn't tell them what).
Them: I don't understand.
Me: You don't understand what company you work for?

(Call gets cut off)

Funny though.

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

why I said is it a new scam was because it was a recorded message not a live call! If I clicked 1 I'd probably have been charged

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Davemorris1951
Grafter

We've also had about 5/6 Of these phone calls over the last 2/3 weeks, recorded message saying they were from bt and the phone line would be disconnected within 24/48hrs. No longer a bt customer I thought that was quite odd. I spoke to someone from bt on their webchat and they said it was a scam call they believed, so I'm assuming whoever keeps calling is trying to get personal info somehow
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@PeterLoftus wrote:

why I said is it a new scam was because it was a recorded message not a live call! If I clicked 1 I'd probably have been charged

No, it's not possible to be charged while you're on an incoming call.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)