cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vonage?

brockied
Dabbler

Vonage?

I have a question about the broadband only option. I currently have broadband and phone but just recently saw about Vonage and it says I can use phone over the Internet for £8.50 a month and I can keep my number.

How does the broadband only option work, I understand you still need line rental to still use broadband, can that be provided by plusnet?. If I moved to Broadband only would I then be able to use the Vonage service and transfer my number over to them ?

Lastly would this be cheaper than using phone and broadband ?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Vonage?

No, this wouldn’t work.
Voyage is VoIP only and not a landline provider so you still need to have a land line provided by someone whether it is Plusnet or someone else - there are potentially cheaper options
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

In order to have broadband from PlusNet you still need to have line rental, this can be provided by PlusNet or another company.  If you move your line rental to another company then I believe PlusNet apply a £2.50 per month surcharge on the broadband bill.

Essentially as it stands at the moment in addition to line rental you also have to have a voice product on the line - this may change in the future with the introduction of a product called SOGEA, which is also known as 'naked DSL'.  It is not expected that the price of naked DSL will be much cheaper than line rental + voice product as the costs of supplying the voice product are negligible, and most of the cost goes on maintaining the copper line, which also supports the broadband.

Regarding Vonage as you probably realize is a VoIP product and runs over any broadband connection.  As you say it is possible to transfer a BT PSTN number via a port to Vonage but you need to be aware that doing so with trigger a cease on your PlusNet line, which will in turn cancel your broadband and line completely (as it's not currently possible to have a broadband line without it having a number).

It is theoretically possible to achieve this using a Renumber with Number Export (see http://www.revk.uk/2016/04/number-porting-broadband-and-voip.html) but I would proceed with extreme caution as it's very non-standard and I think the chances of loosing your number and/or broadband service are quite high.  

brockied
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply, I think I will stick to using phone and broadband. I did not know how this all worked but you explained it well to me. It said on Vonage you can get phone without line rental but how does that work when you need it for broadband. 

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

For ADSL/VDSL lines (the vast majority) in the UK you do currently need line rental.  For FTTP (full fibre) and Virgin Media lines it is possible to drop the voice line rental completely.

Vonage don't know how your broadband is currently provisioned.  As far as they are concerned you could have a broadband connection without paying line rental - in which case they won't charge you line rental for having their VoIP service.

brockied
Dabbler

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me, I understand now how this works.